||All Treesearch publications were written or produced by Forest Service personnel
and are in the public domain. You can also locate Treesearch publications by geography and/or full text searches using GeoTreesearch.
US Forest Service
P.O. Box 96090
You are here: Home
/ Publication Information
Title: Fire in eastern oak forests: delivering science to land managers
Author: Dickinson, Matthew B., ed. ed.
Source: Fire in eastern oak forests: delivering science to land managers, proceedings of a conference; 2005 November 15-17; Columbus, OH. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-1. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 303 p.
- The paleoecology of fire and oaks in eastern forests
Patterson, William A. III
- Fire scars reveal variability and dynamics of eastern fire regimes
Guyette, Richard P.; Dey, Daniel C.; Stambaugh, Michael C.; Muzika, Rose-Marie
- Understanding the evidence for historical fire across eastern forests
Ruffner, Charles M.
- Oak composition and structure in the eastern United States
Moser, W. Keith; Hansen, Mark; McWilliams, Will; Sheffield, Ray
- Why sustain oak forests?
Smith, David Wm.
- Ecological and ecophysiological attributes and responses to fire in eastern oak forests
Abrams, Marc D.
- Research efforts on fuels, fuel models, and fire behavior in eastern hardwood forests
Waldrop, Thomas A.; Brudnak, Lucy; Phillips, Ross J.; Brose, Patrick H.
- Soil, fire, water, and wind: how the elements conspire in the forest context
Boerner, Ralph E.J.
- Responses of oak and other hardwood regeneration to prescribed fire: what we know as of 2005
Brose, Patrick H.; Schuler, Thomas M.; Ward, Jeffrey S.
- Fire and the herbaceous layer of eastern oak forests
- Do fire and insects interact in eastern forests?
Rieske-Kinney, Lynne K.
- Does fire affect amphibians and reptiles in eastern U.S. oak forests?
Renken, Rochelle B.
- Conservation implications for neotropical migratory and game birds in oak-hardwood stands managed with shelterwood harvests and prescribed fire
Lanham, J. Drew; Brose, Patrick H.; Keyser, Patrick D.
- Influence of fire on mammals in eastern oak forests
Keyser, Patrick D.; Ford, W. Mark
- Prescribed fire: What influences public approval?
McCaffrey, Sarah M.
- Top ten smoke management questions for fire in eastern oak forests
Charney, Joseph J.; Acheson, Ann L.; Stacy, Andrea
- Resistance of eastern hardwood stems to fire injury and damage
Smith, Kevin T.; Sutherland, Elaine Kennedy
- Fire and invasive exotic plant species in eastern oak communities: an assessment of current knowledge
Huebner, Cynthia D.
- Rx fire laws: tools to protect fire: the `ecological imperative?
Wade, Dale; Miller, Steven; Stowe, Johnny; Brenner, James
- Growing a burning program: challenges and oportunities
- Overstory and seedling response to repeated fires in eastern Kentucky
Alexander, Heather D.; Arthur, mary; Loftis, David; Green, Stephanie
- Thermocouple probes in surface fires
Bova, Anthony S.; Dickinson, Matthew B.
- Wildfire hazard mitigation treatments applied above ground impact soil ecological properties in oak forest ecosystems
Brinkman, Jennifer A.; Boerner, R.E.J.
- Fire research in the pine barrens of New Jersey
Clark, Kenneth; Skowronski, Nick; Pan, Yude; Van Tuyl, Steve; Heilman, Warren
- Effects of fuel reduction treatments on soil nitrogen transformation in the southeastern piedmont
Coates, T. Adam; Shelburne, Victor B.; Waldrop, Thomas A.; Smith, Bill R.; Hill, Hoke S. Jr.
- Use of wildland fire in Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Cohen, Dana; Buchanan, Beth; Dellinger, Bob; Konz, Leon; Taylor, Mark
- Hardwood stem injury and mortality in surface fires
Dickinson, Matthew B.; Bova, Anthony S.
- Vegetation response to prescribed fire across a moisture/productivity gradient in the southern Appalachians
Elliott, Katherine J.; Vose, James M.
- Oaks in presettlement fire landscapes of the southeast
- Effects of prescribed burning on invasibility by nonnative plant species in the central hardwoods region
Glasgow, Lance; Matlack, Glenn
- Fuel and fire dynamics in eastern mixed-oak forests
Graham, John B.; McCarthy, Brian C.
- Using prescribed fire and mechanical thinning to improve the regenerative potential of oak species
Holevoet, Scott; Ruffner, Charles
- Thinning and burning treatments influence within-canopy leaf traits in seven hardwood species in Ohio
Chiang, Jyh-MIn; Brown, Kim J.
- Estimating fire behavior from overhead imagery in eastern oak forests
Kremens, Robert; Bova, Anthony; Dickinson, Matthew; Faulring, Jason; McNamara, Shari
- Effects of silvicultural treatments on acorn weevil occurrence in mixed-oak forests
Lombardo, Jeffrey A.; McCarthy, Brian C.
- Oak and maple stump sprout dynamics in response to thinning and burning treatments in southern Ohio
Long, Robert P.; Apsley, David K; Rebbeck, Joanne
- Impacts of repeated prescribed fires on fuels in a central Appalachian hardwood forest
Lyons, Jessi E.; Loucks, Elizabeth; Arthur, Mary A.; Loftis, David
- Factors influencing wildfire occurrence and distribution in eastern Kentucky
Maingi, John K.; Henry, Mary C.
- Hardwood regeneration following prescribed fire and thinning in mixed-oak forests of southeastern Ohio
McCarthy, Brian C.; Albrecht, Matthew A.
- Soil respiration responses to temporal, topographic, and silvicultural factors in a southeastern Ohio forest
McCarthy, Dawn R.; Brown , Kim J.
- Changes in the stand structure and species composition of oak-dominated communities following a prescribed burn
McDaniel, Virginia L.; Jenkins, Michael A.; Klein, Robert N.
- Experimental evaluation of fire history reconstruction using dendrochronology in white oak (Quercus alba)
McEwan, Ryan w.; Hutchinson, Todd; Ford, Robert; McCarthy, Brian C.
- Impact of fire on soil resource patterns in mixed-conifer forests in the southern Cascade range of northern California
Miesel, Jessica; Skinner, Carl; Boerner, Ralph
- Avian community responses to prescribed burns and shelterwood harvests
Miles, Donald B.; Steby, Henry; Weber, Dan
- Rehabilitation of an upland hardwood forest using prescribed fire and herbicide
Montgomery, Rebecca; Earl, Jeff; Stuhlinger, Chris; Pelkki, Matthew; Cunningham, Kyle
- Altered disturbance regimes: demise of fire in the eastern United States
Nowacki, Gregory J.; Carr, Robert A.
- Lightning-initiated growing season fires characterized oakdominated ecosystems of southern Ohio
Petersen, Sheryl M.; Drewa, Paul B.
- Use of temperature-sensitive paints as an index of heat output from fire
Rebbeck , Joanne; Yaussy, Daniel; Iverson, Louis; Hutchinson, Todd; Long, Robert; Bova, Anthony; Dickinson, Matthew
- Impact of fire, silvicultural manipulation, and microsite conditions on woody debris decay dynamics in a mixed-oak forest
Rubino, Darrin L.; Hesch, Lindsey E.; McCarthy, Brian C.
- Effects of forest management on soil seedbank species composition in a mixed-oak forest in southeastern Ohio
Schelling, Lisa R.; McCarthy, Brian C.
- Oak-grassland restoration demonstration area project
Smith, Leslie M.; McCoy, James R.
- Integrated upland hardwood research in Arkansas' Boston Mountains
Spetich, Martin A.
- Assigning fire regimes on the Monongahela National Forest, West Virginia
Thomas-Van Gundy, Melissa
- Influence of prescribed fire on stem girdling and mortality
Ward, Jeffrey S.; Brose , Patrick H.
- Putting fire on the ground with prescribed burning associations
Weir, John R.; Bidwell, Terrence G.; O'Meilia, Chris M.
- Fire research on the Raccoon Ecological Management Area
Yaussy, Daniel A.; Hutchinson, Todd; Dickinson, Matthew B.; Rebbeck, Joanne
Description: Contains 20 papers and 36 poster abstracts presented at a conference on fire in oak forests of the Eastern United States that was held at the Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, on November 15-17, 2005.
Keywords: fire, eastern forests, forest management, oak
View or Print this Publication (6.0 MB)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
- This publication may be available in hard copy. Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat. During the capture process some typographical errors may occur. Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
Dickinson, Matthew B., ed. 2006. Fire in eastern oak forests: delivering science to land managers. Fire in eastern oak forests: delivering science to land managers, proceedings of a conference; 2005 November 15-17; Columbus, OH. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-1. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 303 p.
Get the latest version of the Adobe Acrobat reader or Acrobat Reader for Windows with Search and Accessibility