Title: The enhanced forest inventory and analysis program - national sampling design and estimation procedures
Author: Bechtold, William A.; Patterson, Paul L.; [Editors],
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-80. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 85 p.
- The enhanced forest inventory and analysis program
McRoberts, Ronald E.
- The forest inventory and analysis sampling frame
Reams, Gregory A.; Smith, William D.; Hansen, Mark H.; Bechtold, William A.; Roesch, Francis A.; Moisen, Gretchen G.
- The forest inventory and analysis plot design
Bechtold, William A.; Scott, Charles T.
- Sample-based estimators used by the forest inventory and analysis national information management system
Scott, Charles T.; Bechtold, William A.; Reams, Gregory A.; Smith, William D.; Westfall, James A.; Hansen, Mark H.; Moisen, Gretchen G.
- Combining panels for forest inventory and analysis estimation
Patterson, Paul L.; Reams, Gregory A.
Description: The Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) Program of the U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service is in the process of moving from a system of quasiindependent, regional, periodic inventories to an enhanced program featuring greater national consistency, annual measurement of a proportion of plots in each State, new reporting requirements, and integration with the ground sampling component of the Forest Health Monitoring Program. This documentation presents an overview of the conceptual changes, explains the three phases of FIA's sampling design, describes the sampling frame and plot configuration, presents the estimators that form the basis of FIA's National Information Management System (NIMS), and shows how annual data are combined for analysis. It also references a number of Web-based supplementary documents that provide greater detail about some of the more obscure aspects of the sampling and estimation system, as well as examples of calculations for most of the common estimators produced by FIA.
Keywords: annual inventory, FIA, forest health monitoring, forest inventory, plot design, sampling frame
View or Print this Publication (2.63 MB bytes)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication. (Please specify exactly
which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
Bechtold, William A.; Patterson, Paul L.; [Editors] 2005. The enhanced forest inventory and analysis program - national sampling design and estimation procedures. Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-80. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 85 p.
Get the latest version of the Adobe Acrobat reader or Acrobat Reader for Windows with Search and Accessibility