You are here: Home
/ Publication Information
Title: Fire management assessment of the Caribbean Pine (Pinus caribea) forest ecosystems on Andros and Abaco Islands, Bahamas
Author: Myers, R.; Wade, D.; Bergh, C.
Source: GFI publication. 2004-1. Arlington, VA: The Nature Conservancy. 18 p.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
Description: From 2-7 February 2003, a team of fire management and fire ecology experts visited the islands of Andros, Abaco, and New Providence in the Bahamas to gain insight into the fire issues facing the conservation of the Caribbean pine forests, which cover large percentages of each island. The objectives for the assessment were to:
(1) Gather information on fire management needs and issues for the pine forests on the three islands, particularly Andros and Abaco;
(2) Assess current fire regimes and discuss whether they are significantly altered from what is believed to be appropriate to maintain the integrity of the pinelands;
(3) Develop a list of research needs and information gaps;
(4) Evaluate fire management planning and training needs;
(5) Identify managers to participate in training courses, exchanges and mentoring programs;
(6) Identify other threats related to fire, e.g., invasive species and climate change; and
(7)Provide Bahamian conservation managers with recommendations and next steps.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication. (Please specify exactly
which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
XML: View XML
Myers, R.; Wade, D.; Bergh, C. 2004. Fire management assessment of the Caribbean Pine (Pinus caribea) forest ecosystems on Andros and Abaco Islands, Bahamas. GFI publication. 2004-1. Arlington, VA: The Nature Conservancy. 18 p.
Get the latest version of the Adobe Acrobat reader or Acrobat Reader for Windows with Search and Accessibility