||All Treesearch publications were written or produced by Forest Service personnel
and are in the public domain. You can also locate Treesearch publications by geography and/or full text searches using GeoTreesearch.
US Forest Service
P.O. Box 96090
You are here: Home
/ Publication Information
Title: Desired future conditions for Southwestern riparian ecosystems: Bringing interests and concerns together
Author: Shaw, Douglas W.; Finch, Deborah M.
Source: General Technical Report RM-GTR-272. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Forest and Range Experiment Station. 359 p.
Shaw, Douglas W.; Finch, Deborah M.
- Letter by Senator Pete Domenici
Domenici, Pete V.
- The Middle Rio Grande: Its ecology and management
Whitney, Jeffery C
- Riverine settlement in the evolution of prehistoric land-use systems in the Middle Rio Grande Valley, New Mexico
Tainter, Joseph A.; Tainter, Bonnie Bagley
- Human impacts on riparian ecosystems of the Middle Rio Grande Valley during historic times
Wozniak, Frank E.
- A preliminary riparian/wetland vegetation community classification of the Upper and Middle Rio Grande watersheds in New Mexico
Durkin, Paula; Muldavin, Esteban; Bradley, Mike; Carr, Stacey E.
- Riparian habitat change along the Isleta-Belen reach of the Rio Grande
Mount, Joanne; Krausman, William; Finch, Deborah M.
- Avian community composition and habitat importance in the Rio Grande corridor of New Mexico
Leal, David A.; Meyer, Raymond A.; Thompson, Bruce C.
- Research and management of soil, plant, animal, and human resources in the Middle Rio Grande Basin
Finch, Deborah M.
- Landbird species composition and relative abundance during migration along the Rio Grande
Yong, Wang; Finch, Deborah M.
- The potential for implementing partial restoration of the Middle Rio Grande ecosystem
Crawford, Clifford S.; Ellis, Lisa M.; Molles, Manuel C. Jr.; Valett, H. Maurice
- Panel - Rio Grande restoration: Future directions
Finch, Deborah M.; Domenici, Pete V.; Whitney, Jeffrey. C.; Harris, Steve; Shields, Brian; Crawford, Clifford S.
- Spatial relationships among lightning, precipitation and vegetative cover in watersheds of the Rio Puerco Basin: An introduction
Potter, Deborah Ulinski; Gorman, Susan M.
- Flow of water and sediments through Southwestern riparian systems
DeBano, Leonard F.; Ffolliott, Peter F.; Brooks, Kenneth N.
- Effects of livestock grazing on nutrient retention in a headwater stream of the Rio Puerco Basin
Sewards, Mark A.; Valett, H. Maurice
- Geomorphic response of a montane riparian habitat to interactions of ungulates, vegetation, and hydrology
Neary, Daniel G.; Medina, Alvin L.
- Willow establishment in relation to cattle grazing on an eastern Oregon stream
Shaw, Nancy L.; Clary, Warren P.
- Insects of the riparian
Rogers, Terrence J.
- Distribution of Rio Grande cutthroat trout and its co-occurrence with the Rio Grande sucker and Rio Grande chub on the Carson and Santa Fe National Forests
Calamusso, Bob; Rinne, John N.
- Bat species using water sources in pinyon-juniper woodlands
- Summer bird/vegetation associations in Tamarisk and native habitat along the Pecos River, southeastern New Mexico
Livingston, M. F.; Schemnitz, S. D.
- The influence of prehistoric Anasazi cobble-mulch agricultural features of northern Rio Grande landscapes
Periman, Richard D.
- Historic land use and grazing patterns in northern New Mexico
- Tribal experiences and lessons learned in riparian ecosystem restoration
Miller, Ronald K.; Enote, James E.; Martinez, Cameron L.
- Rio Grande Basin Consortium: Mission, goals, and activities
Potter, Deborah A.; Finch, Deborah M.
- Rio Grande Valley State Park maintenance, improvements, and developments
- The citizen volunteer
- Riparian wetlands and visitor use management in Big Bend National Park, Texas
Fleming, C. M.; Kunkle, S. H.; Flora, M. D.
- The Arizona Riparian Area Advisory Committee: An experience in defining desired conditions
Randall, K. E.
- Cooperative management of riparian forest habitats to maintain biological quality and ecosystem integrity
Deardorff, David; Wadsworth, Kathryn
- Public involvement and consensus building in the Verde River Watershed in central Arizona
- Panel - People and riparian ecosystems: Past, present, and future
Periman, Richard D.; Raish, Carol; Wozniak, Frank E.; Brookshire, David S.; McKee, Michael; Schmidt, Christian; Barron, Tony
- Albuquerque constructed wetlands pilot project: Summary and status of City of Albuquerque project, September 1995
Glass, Steven; Thullen, Joan; Sartoris, Jim; Roline, Rick
- Riparian restoration of Seiiorito Canyon, a tributary of the Rio Puerco
Vincent, Dwain W.
- Using simple structures for flow dispersion in wet meadow restoration
Zeedyk, Bill; Romero, Benjamin; Albert, Steven K.
- Restoration guidelines for riparian areas using dormant stock "pole" cuttings
- Restoring native riparian vegetation
- Mitigation in riparian areas: Questions, concerns and recommendations
- Reducing impacts of brood parasitism by Brown-headed Cowbirds on riparian-nesting migratory songbirds
Schweitzer, Sara H.; Finch, Deborah M.; Leslie, David M. Jr.
- The riparian species recovery plan: A status report
Chambers, Steven M.
- Effects of livestock management on Southwestern riparian ecosystems
Krueper, David J.
- Desirable functional processes: A conceptual approach for evaluating ecological condition
Medina, Alvin L.; Baker, Malchus B. Jr.; Neary, Daniel G.
- Ecological condition of the East Fork of the Gila River and selected tributaries: Gila National Forest, New Mexico
Ohmart, Robert D.
- Channel bed particle size distribution procedure used to evaluate watershed cumulative effects for range permit re-issuance on the Santa Fe National Forest
Sims, Bruce; Piatt, Jim; Johnson, Lee; Purchase, Carol; Phillips, John
- GIS applications in riparian management
Christman, Carrie; Shaw, Douglas W.; Spann, Charles L.; Luehring, Penny
- Native aquatic plants and ecological condition of southwestern wetlands and riparian areas
Medina, Alvin L.
- Desired future condition: Fish habitat in southwestern riparian-stream habitats
Rinne, John N.
- Management plan for the Rio Cebolla watershed Sandoval County and Rio Arriba County, New Mexico
Breeding, Noreen A.
- Discussion of future cooperative actions and closing remarks
Pettit, Patricia L.
Description: This proceedings represents scientific and applied papers presented at a symposium of the same title held 18-22 September 1995 at the Four Seasons Hotel in Albuquerque, New Mexico. The symposium brought together scientists, natural resource managers, conservationists, and representatives from the private sector to share their findings, ideas, and visions for managing, conserving, and restoring riparian ecosystems in the Southwest. The Proceedings is divided into sections on the history, ecology, and management of the Rio Grande; general ecosystem hydrology and ecology; human history, values, and needs; ecosystem restoration and species recovery; and current and desired future conditions. Oral presentations given during panels on "Rio Grande restoration" and "People and riparian ecosystems" are also published in this volume.
Keywords: riparian ecosystems, desired future conditions, human dimensions, hydrology, ecology, history, restoration, species recovery
View or Print this Publication (8.9 MB bytes)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication. (Please specify exactly
which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
Shaw, Douglas W.; Finch, Deborah M. 1996. Desired future conditions for Southwestern riparian ecosystems: Bringing interests and concerns together. General Technical Report RM-GTR-272. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Forest and Range Experiment Station. 359 p.
Get the latest version of the Adobe Acrobat reader or Acrobat Reader for Windows with Search and Accessibility