||All Treesearch publications were written or produced by Forest Service personnel
and are in the public domain. You can also locate Treesearch publications by geography and/or full text searches using GeoTreesearch.
US Forest Service
P.O. Box 96090
You are here: Home
/ Publication Information
Title: Proceedings, 17th Central Hardwood Forest Conference
Author: Fei, Songlin; Lhotka, John M.; Stringer, Jeffrey W.; Gottschalk, Kurt W.; Miller, Gary W., eds.
Source: Proceedings, 17th Central Hardwood Forest Conference; 2010 April 5-7; Lexington, KY; Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-78. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 678 p. CD-ROM.
- Thinning strategies to increase the regional availability of oak timber in the Mid-Appalachian Region
Brooks, John R.; Wang, Jingxin; LeDoux, Chris.
- Stump sprout dominance probabilities of five oak species in southern Indiana 20 years after clearcut harvesting
Weigel, Dale R.; Dey, Daniel C.; Peng, Chao-Ying Joanne.
- An evaluation of three growth and yield simulators for even-aged hardwood forests of the mid-Appalachian region
Brooks, John R.; Miller, Gary W.
- A technique for predicting clear-wood production in hardwood stems: A model for evaluating hardwood plantation development and management
Oswalt, Christopher M.; Clatterbuck, Wayne K.; Larsen, Dave R.
- A 3-point derivation of dominant tree height equations
Bragg, Don C.
- Examining spring phenology of forest understory using digital photography
Liang, Liang; Schwartz, Mark D.; Fei, Songlin.
- Developing digital vegetation for central hardwood forest types: A case study from Leslie County, KY
Song, Bo; Tsai, Wei-lun; Chou, Chiao-ying; Williams, Thomas M.; Conner, William; Williams, Brian J.
- A three-dimensional optimal sawing system for small sawmills in central Appalachia
Lin, Wenshu; Wang, Jingxin; Thomas, R. Edward.
- Validation of an internal hardwood log defect prediction model
Thomas, R. Edward.
- Integrated least-cost lumber grade-mix solver
Buehlmann, U.; Buck, R.; Thomas, R.E.
- A graphical automated detection system to locate hardwood log surface defects using high-resolution three-dimensional laser scan data
Thomas, Liya; Thomas, R. Edward.
- Forest composition change in the eastern United States
Fei, Songlin; Yang, Peilin.
- Composition, structure, and dynamics of the Illinois Ozark Hills Forest
Helmig, Lisa M.; Fralish, James S.
- Efficacy of herbicide treatments for controlling residual sprouting of tree-of-heaven
Bowker, Daniel; Stringer, Jeff.
- Maximizing carbon storage in the Appalachians: A method for considering the risk of disturbance events
Vanderberg, Michael R.; Boston, Kevin; Bailey, John.
- Status and potential of terrestrial carbon sequestration in West Virginia
Sharma, Benktesh D.; Wang, Jingxin.
- Are nitrate exports in stream water linked to nitrogen fluxes in decomposing foliar litter?
Piatek, Kathryn B.; Adams, Mary Beth.
- The fate of nitrogen mineralized from leaf litter Initial evidence from 15N-labeled litter
Piatek, Kathryn B.
- Canopy gap characteristics of an old-growth and an adjacent second-growth beech-maple stand in north-central Ohio
Hix, David M.; Goebel, P. Charles; Whitman, Heather L.
- Composition and structure of riparian areas along a land-use gradient in an agricultural watershed of northeastern Ohio
Goebel, P. Charles; Hix, David M.; Whitman, Heather L.
- Landform and terrain shape indices are related to oak site index in the Missouri Ozarks
Villwock, Jason L.; Kabrick, John M.; McNab, W. Henry; Dey, Daniel C.
- Site characteristics of American chestnut, oak, and hickory witness trees on the Monongahela National Forest, West Virginia
Thomas-Van Gundy, Melissa; Strager, Michael.
- Effects of natural gas development on forest ecosystems
Adams, Mary Beth; Ford, W. Mark; Schuler, Thomas M.; Thomas-Van Gundy, Melissa.
- Spatial impact assessment of conifer stands in the Hoosier National Forest
Thurau, Richard; Wayson, Craig; Weigel, Dale; Ehman, Jeff.
- Analysis of historical vegetation patterns in the eastern portion of the Illinois Lesser Shawnee Hills
Jones, Suzanne L.; Anderson, Roger C.
- Fate of the 2001 acorn crop at Clear Creek State Forest, Pennsylvania
- The effects of shelterwood harvesting on oak regeneration two years after harvest in southern Ohio
Downs, James D.; Williams, Roger A.; Downs, Joni A.
- Effects of midstory removal on underplanted black oak and white oak in the western Cumberland Plateau
Parrott, David L.; Lhotka, John M.; Stringer, Jeffrey W.
- Early survival and growth of planted shortleaf pine seedlings as a function of initial size and overstory stocking
Kabrick, John M.; Dey, Daniel C.; Shifley, Stephen R.; Villwock, Jason L.
- Dynamics of planted cherrybark oak seedlings and yellow-poplar from seed following a regeneration clearcut
Clatterbuck, Wayne K.
- The influence of cultural treatments of the long-term survival and growth of planted Quercus rubra
Zaczek, James J.; Steiner, Kim C.
- One-year response of American sycamore (Platanus occidentalis L.) and black locust (Robinia pseudoacacia L.) to granular fertilizer applications on a reclaimed surface mine in eastern Kentucky
Brinks, Josh; Lhotka, John; Barton, Chris.
- Effect of mechanical site preparation treatments on oak survival in a retired field afforestation effort -- first-year results
Self, Andrew B.; Ezell, Andrew W.; Hollis, Damon B.; Alkire, Derek.
- Contrasting the effects of organic matter removal and soil compaction on root biomass of 9-year-old red oak, white oak, and shortleaf pine in a Missouri Ozark forest
Ponder, Felix Jr.
- Adaptation and validation of the REGEN expert system for the Central Appalachians
Vickers, Lance A.; Fox, Thomas R.; Loftis, David L.; Boucugnani, David A.
- Effects of prolonged storage on survival and growth of outplanted bottomland oaks
Mercker, David C.; Buckley, David S.; Conn, John P.
- Reduced rates of controlled-release fertilizer lower potential nitrogen leaching from a Wisconsin bare-root tree nursery
Fujinuma, Ryosuke; Balster, Nick J.; Lee, Hyung-Kyung.
- White oak seed source performance across multiple sites in Indiana through age 16
O'Connor, Philip A.; Coggeshall, Mark V.
- Evaluating Best Management Practices for ephemeral channel protection following forest harvest in the Cumberland Plateau - preliminary findings
Witt, Emma L.; Barton, Christopher D.; Stringer, Jeffrey W.; Bowker, Daniel W.; Kolka, Randall K.
- Evaluation of erosion and sedimentation associated with tracked vehicle training
Crim, Jackie F.; Schoonover, Jon E.; Williard, Karl W.J.; Groninger, John W.; Zaczek, James J.; Ruffner, Charles M.
- Detecting the effects of forest harvesting on streamflow using hydrologic model change detection
Zegre, Nicolas P.; Som, Nicholas A.
- Harvesting productivity and disturbance estimates of three silvicultural prescriptions on the Daniel Boone National Forest, Kentucky
Thompson, Jason D.; Rummer, Bob; Schweitzer, Callie.
- Can our chestnut survive another invasion?
Rieske, Lynne K.; Cooper, W. Rodney.
- Predicting the spatial distribution of Lonicera japonica, based on species occurrence data from two watersheds in Western Kentucky and Tennessee
Liu, Dongjiao; Jiang, Hao; Zhang, Robin; He, Kate S.
- A review of impacts by invasive exotic plants on forest ecosystem services
Devine, Kevin; Fei, Songlin.
- Preparing for hemlock woolly adelgid in Ohio: Communities associated with hemlock-dominated ravines of Ohio's unglaciated Allegheny Plateau
Martin, Katherine L.; Goebel, P. Charles.
- The extent of selected nonnative invasive plants on southern forest lands
Oswalt, Sonja N.; Oswalt, Christopher M.
- Screening butternut and butternut hybrids for resistance to butternut canker
McKenna, J.R.; Ostry, M.E.; Woeste, K.
- Using silviculture to sustain upland oak forests under stress on the Daniel Boone National Forest, Kentucky
Schweitzer, Callie Jo; Gottschalk, Kurt W.; Stringer, Jeff W.; Clark, Stacy L.; Loftis, David L.
- Integrating studies in the Missouri Ozark Forest Ecosystem Project: Status and outlook
Gwaze, David; Sheriff, Stephen; Kabrick, John; Vangilder, Larry.
- Stand and individual tree growth of mature red oak after crop tree management in southern New England: 5-year results
Ward, Jeffrey S.
- Thirty-year assessment of released, overtopped white oaks
Miller, C.; Grayson, S.; Houser, A.; Clatterbuck, W.; Kuers, K.
- Midstory removal methods tested for timely release of newly established oak seedlings under oak shelterwoods
Rathfon, Ronald A.
- A cost comparison of five midstory removal methods
Bailey, Brian G.; Saunders, Michael R.; Lowe, Zachary E.
- Roundwood markets and utilization in West Virginia and Ohio
Grushecky, Shawn T.; Wiedenbeck, Jan; Spong, Ben.
- A synopsis of the wood-based energy and heating industries in the northeastern United States with consideration of potential impacts on future demand for roundwood
Wiedenback, Jan; Ray, Chuck D.; Ma, Li.
- Changes in U.S. hardwood lumber exports, 1990 to 2008
Luppold, William; Bumgardner, Matthew.
- Characteristics of West Virginia loggers during economically difficult times
Spong, Ben; Wang, Jinxing; Summerfield, David.
- Entrepreneurial orientation of eastern white pine primary producers and secondary manufacturers: A regional phenomenon?
- Perceptions of firms within a cluster regarding the cluster's function and success: Amish furniture manufacturing in Ohio
Bumgardner, Matthew S.; Graham, Gary W.; Goebel, P. Charles; Romig, Robert L.
- Understanding chain-of-custody certification in the Appalachian hardwood region: Primary manufacturers' practices and perceptions
Montague, Iris B.
- Small enterprises as important hardwood lumber consumers: Evidence from the current housing downturn
Buehlmann, Urs; Bumgardner, Matthew; Schuler, Al; Crissey, Jeff.
- Hardwood lumber distribution yards: Output, demands, and perceptions of their role
Buehlmann, Urs; Espinoza, Omar; Smith, Robert; Bumgardner, Matthew.
- Tales of a repatriated megaherbivore: Challenges and opportunities in the management of reintroduced elk in Appalachia
Cox, John J.
- A simplified hardwood log-sawing program for three-dimensional profile data
Thomas, R. Edward.
- Do trees fall downhill? Relationship between treefall direction and slope-aspect and wind in eight old-growth oak stands in the central hardwood forest
Rentch, James S.
- Global Positioning System (GPS) and Geographic Information System (GIS) analysis of mobile harvesting equipment and sediment delivery to streams during forest harvest operations on steep terrain: Experimental design
Bowker, Daniel; Stringer, Jeff; Barton, Chris; Fei, Songlin.
- Controlling Japanese barberry: Alternative methods and impact on tick populations
Ward, Jeffrey S.; Williams, Scott C.; Worthley, Thomas E.
- Do mature forests present barriers to nonnative plant invasion? Lonicera Maackii invasion in deciduous forests of central Kentucky
Wilson, Heather N.; Arthur, Mary A.; McEwan, Ryan W.; Lee, Brian D.; Paratley, Robert D.
- Maximum entropy modeling of invasive plants in the forests of Cumberland Plateau and Mountain Region
Lemke, Dawn; Hulme, Philip; Brown, Jennifer; Tadesse, Wubishet.
- Making history: Field testing of blight-resistant American chestnut (Castanea dentata) in the Southern Region
Clark, Stacy L.; Schlarbaum, Scott E.; Saxton, A.M.; Hebard, Fred V.
- Examining possible causes of mortality in white pine seedlings
Gilles, Elizabeth; Reitz, Ronald; Hoss, Greg; Gwaze, David.
- Preliminary evaluation of operational oak regeneration methods in central Missouri
Steen, Carrie; Raeker, Gus; Gwaze, David.
- Shade tolerance of selected afforestation species on Loess Plateau, China
Wang, Naijiang; Wang, Yong; Schweitzer, Callie J.
- Growing high quality hardwoods: Plantation trials of mixed hardwood species in Tennessee
Oswalt, Christopher M.; Clatterbuck, Wayne K.
- Effects of two prescribed fires on red maple regeneration across four levels of canopy cover
DeBord, William W.; Buckley, David S.; Sharik, Terry L.; Hartman, Jason P.; Henning, Jason G.
- Influence of alternative silvicultural treatments on spatial variability in light in central hardwood stands on the Cumberland Plateau
Grayson, Stephen F.; Buckley, David S.; Henning, Jason G.; Schweitzer, Callie J.; Clark, Stacy L.
- Influencing woodland management using web-based technology
Thomas, William R.; Stringer, Jeffrey W.
- The Ecology and Silviculture of Oaks, Second Edition: A new book
Johnson, Paul S.; Shifley, Stephen R.; Rogers, Robert.
- Assessing native small mammals' responses to an incipient invasion of beech bark disease through changes in seed production of American beech
Rosemier, Justin N.; Storer, Andrew J.
- Optimizing wildlife habitat quality and oak regeneration in bottomland hardwoods using midstory control and partial harvests
Alkire, Derek K.; Ezell, Andrew W.; Self, Andrew B.
Description: Includes 64 papers and 17 abstracts pertaining to research conducted on forest regeneration and propagation, forest products, ecology and forest dynamics, human dimensions and economics, forest biometrics and modeling, silviculture genetics, forest health and protection, and soil and mineral nutrition.
Keywords: silviculture, regeneration, forest health, forest biometrics, forest products, forest ecology
View or Print this Publication (14.8 MB)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
- This publication may be available in hard copy. Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat. During the capture process some typographical errors may occur. Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
Fei, Songlin; Lhotka, John M.; Stringer, Jeffrey W.; Gottschalk, Kurt W.; Miller, Gary W., eds. 2011. Proceedings, 17th Central Hardwood Forest Conference; 2010 April 5-7; Lexington, KY; Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-78. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 678 p. CD-ROM.
Get the latest version of the Adobe Acrobat reader or Acrobat Reader for Windows with Search and Accessibility