||All Treesearch publications were written or produced by Forest Service personnel
and are in the public domain. You can also locate Treesearch publications by geography and/or full text searches using GeoTreesearch.
US Forest Service
P.O. Box 96090
You are here: Home
/ Publication Information
Title: Children, nature, and the urban environment: proceedings of a symposium-fair
Author: Northeastern Forest Experiment Station,
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-30. Upper Darby, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 261p.
- Experience and appreciation
- Place and human development
- Comments on "place and human development" by Paul Shepard and Yi-Fu Tuan's "experience and appreciation"
Ladd, Florence C.
- Children, culture, and Edith Cobb
- On the meanings of "nature"
Stillman, Calvin W.
- The perception of natural vs. built environments by young children
- The urban child: getting ready for failure
Stalvey, Lois Mark
- Use and perception of the environment: cultural and developmental processes
Chemers, Martin M.; Altman, Irwin
- Seeing is being
- Man's nature: innate determinants of response to natural environments
Driver, B. L.; Greene, Peter
- Learning from the continuities in humanity and nature
Burch, William R., Jr. Jr.
- City kids in the absence of. . . .
Ladd, Florence C.
- Within city limits: nature and children's books about nature in the city
Marcus, Leonard S.
- An analysis of wildlife in children's stories
More, Thomas A.
- Measuring environmental attitudes of elementary school students
Benjamin, John C.; Moeller, George H.; Morrison, Douglas A.
- Urban children and nature: a summary of research on camping and outdoor education
Burch, William R., Jr. Jr.
- Recreational preferences of urban teenagers: the influence of cultural and environmental attributes
Peterson, George L.
- Observations in public settings
Lee, Robert G.
- Children's television: an environmental learning resource?
Hamlin, Gwen; Nelson-Shulman, Yona; West, Sheree
- A method for observing young children's make-believe play
- The youth conservation corps and adolescents' self-concept
Dickerson, A. Laverne
- Urban children in natural environments: a field study in sociobiology
Allen, Ruth Hamilton
- Developing teachers' awareness of the young urban child's environment
- Green is for growing: the Girl Scout experience with environmental programs
Rhomberg, Mary A.
- An outdoor challenge program as a means of enhancing mental health
Hanson, Robert A.
- Summer outdoor programs: their participants and their effects
- Tranquility and challenge in the natural environment
- Human perspectives in horticulture
Lewis, Charles A.
- Confronting passive behavior through outdoor experience: a TA approach to experiential learning
Medrick, Frederick W.
- The natural environment and human development: implications for handicapped children in urban settings
Vinton, Dennis A.; Hawkins, Donald E.
- The environmental design of children- nature relations: some strands of applicative theory
Moore, Robin C.
- Research needs for programs that provide natural environments for children
Shafer, Elwood L.
- Research priorities in environmental education
Moeller, George H.
Description: A report on the symposium-fair held 19-23 May, 1975 at the C. H. Marvin Center, the George Washington University, Washington, D.C., containing 33 papers. Sections are devoted to defining the role of natural environments and human development, research on urban children and the natural environment, and community and institutional response to fostering desirable relationships between nature and development of urban children.
View or Print this Publication (40.7 MB)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
- This publication may be available in hard copy. Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat. During the capture process some typographical errors may occur. Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
Northeastern Forest Experiment Station 1977. Children, nature, and the urban environment: proceedings of a symposium-fair. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-30. Upper Darby, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 261p.
Get the latest version of the Adobe Acrobat reader or Acrobat Reader for Windows with Search and Accessibility