Title: Forest adaptation resources: Climate change tools and approaches for land managers
Author: Swanston, Chris; Janowiak, Maria, eds.
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-87. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 121 p.
- Climate change response framework overview: Chapter 1
Swanston, Chris; Janowiak, Maria; Butler, Patricia.
- Adaptation strategies and approaches: Chapter 2
Butler, Patricia; Swanston, Chris; Janowiak, Maria; Parker, Linda; St. Pierre, Matt; Brandt, Leslie.
- Adaptation workbook: Chapter 3
Janowiak, Maria; Butler, Patricia; Swanston, Chris; Parker, Linda; St. Pierre, Matt; Brandt, Leslie.
- Adaptation illustrations: Chapter 4
Janowiak, Maria; Butler, Patricia; Swanston, Chris; St. Pierre, Matt; Parker, Linda.
Description: The forests of northern Wisconsin, a defining feature of the region's landscape, are expected to undergo numerous changes in response to the changing climate. This document provides a collection of resources designed to help forest managers incorporate climate change considerations into management and devise adaptation tactics. It was developed in northern Wisconsin as part of the Northwoods Climate Change Response Framework project and contains information from assessments, partnership efforts, workshops, and collaborative work between scientists and managers. The four interrelated chapters include: (1) a description of the overarching Climate Change Response Framework, a landscape-scale conservation approach also being expanded to other landscapes; (2) a "menu" of adaptation strategies and approaches that are directly relevant to forests in northern Wisconsin; (3) a workbook process to help incorporate climate change considerations into forest management planning and to assist land managers in developing groundlevel climate adaptation tactics for forest ecosystems; and (4) two illustrations that provide examples of how these resources can be used in real-world situations. The ideas, tools, and resources presented in the different chapters are intended to inform and support the existing decisionmaking processes of multiple organizations with diverse management goals.
Keywords: Adaptation, climate change, Wisconsin, forest, adaptive management, Midwest, landscape, case study
View or Print this Publication (7.1 MB)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
- This publication may be available in hard copy. Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat. During the capture process some typographical errors may occur. Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
Swanston, Chris; Janowiak, Maria, eds. 2012. Forest adaptation resources: Climate change tools and approaches for land managers. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-87. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station.121 p.
Get the latest version of the Adobe Acrobat reader or Acrobat Reader for Windows with Search and Accessibility