||All Treesearch publications were written or produced by Forest Service personnel
and are in the public domain. You can also locate Treesearch publications by geography and/or full text searches using GeoTreesearch.
US Forest Service
P.O. Box 96090
You are here: Home
/ Publication Information
Title: Proceedings, 8th Central Hardwood Forest Conference
Author: McCormick, Larry H.; Gottschalk, Kurt W., eds. eds.
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-148. Radnor, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 54 p.
- Management of hardwood forests in the mid-Atlantic region: past, present, and future
Marquis, David A.
- Central hardwood forest resources: a social science perspective
Dwyer, John F.; Schroeder, Herbert W.; Gobster, Paul H.
- An alternate property tax program requiring a forest management plan and scheduled harvesting
Dennis, D.F.; Sendak, P.E.
- Effects of gypsy moth infestation on near-view aesthetic preferences and recreation behavior intentions
Hollenhorst, S.J.; Brock, S.M.; Freimund, W.A.; Twery, M.J.
- The scenic impact of key forest attributes and long-term management alternatives for hardwood forests
- Shipping coal to Newcastle: are SRIC populus plantations a viable fiber production option for the central hardwoods region?
- Harvesting impacts on steep slopes in Virginia
Stuart, W.B.; Carr, S.L.
- Impact of timber harvesting on residual trees in a central hardwood forest in Indiana
Reisinger, T.W.; Pope, P.E.
- A comparison of small tractors for thinning central hardwoods
Huyler, N.; LeDoux, C.B.
- Comparing partial cutttng practices in central Appalachian hardwoods
Miller, G.W.; Smith, H.C.
- Integrating forest growth and harvesting cost models to improve forest management planning
Baumgras, J.E.; LeDoux, C.B.
- Computerized algorithms for partial cuts
Ernst, R.L.; Stout, S.L.
- The interactive impact of forest site and stand attributes and logging technology on stand management
LeDoux, C.B.; Baumgras, J.E.
- Effects of drought and shade on growth and water use of Quercus alba, Q. bicolor, Q. imbricaria and Q. palustris seedlings
McCarthy, Joseph J.; Dawson, Jeffrey O.
- Height and diameter variation in twelve white ash provenance/progeny tests in eastern United States
Rink, G.; Kung, F.H.
- Stomatal conductance of seedlings of three oak species subjected to nitrogen fertilization and drought treatments
Hechler, W.D.; Dawson, J.O.; DeLucia, E.H.
- Stand density, stand structure, and species composition in transition oak stands of northwestern Pennsylvania
- Composition and structure of an old-growth versus a second-growth white oak forest in southwestern Pennsylvania
Downs, J.A.; Abrams, M.D.
- Changes in the relationship between annual tree growth and climatic variables for four hardwood species
Smith, E.R.; Rennie, J.C.
- Community and edaphic analysis of mixed oak forests in the ridge and valley province of central Pennsylvania
Nowacki, G.J.; Abrams, M.D.
- Extrapolation of forest community types with a geographic information system
Clatterbuck, W.K.; Gregory, J.
- Insects affecting establishment of northern red oak seedlings in central Pennsylvania
Galford, J.; Auchmoody, L.R.; Smith, H.C.; Walters, R.S.
- Using Roundup and Oust to control interfering understories in Allegheny hardwood stands
- Tree shelters increase heights of planted northern red oaks
- Mammal caching of oak acorns in a red pine and a mixed oak stand
Thorn, E.R.; Tzilkowski, W.M.
- Role of sprouts in regeneration of a whole-tree clearcut in central hardwoods of Connecticut
Martin, C.W.; Tritton, L.M.
- Planting stock type x genotype interactions affect early outplanting performance of black walnut seedlings
Van Sambeek, J.W.; Hanover, J.W.; Williams, R.D.
- Ten year regeneration of southern Appalachian hardwood clearcuts after controlling residual trees
Zaldivar-Garcia, P.M.; Tew, D.T.
- Development of regeneration following gypsy moth defoliation of Appalachian Plateau and Ridge & Valley hardwood stands
Hix, D.M.; Fosbroke, D.E.; Hicks, R.R., Jr. Jr.; Gottschalk, K.W.
- Silvicultural cutting opportunities in oak-hickory forests of West Virginia
Arner, S. L.; Gansner, D.A.; Dale, M.E.; Smith, H.C.
- Incidence of twolined chestnut borer and Hypoxylon atropunctatum on dead oaks along an acidic deposition gradient from Arkansas to Ohio
Haack, R.A.; Blank, R.W.
- Black walnut tree growth in a mixed species, upland hardwood stand in southern Indiana
Myers, R.K.; Fischer, B.C.
- Effectiveness of electric deer fences to protect planted seedlings in Pennsylvania
George, D.W.; Bowersox, T.W.; McCormick, L.H.
- Releasing 75- to 80-year-old Appalachian hardwood sawtimber trees--5-year d.b.h. response
Smith, H.C.; Miller, G.W.
- A stand density management diagram for sawtimber-sized mixed upland central hardwoods
Kershaw, J.A., Jr. Jr.; Fischer, B.C.
- Evaluation of an approach to improve acorn production during thinning
- Independent effects and interactions of stand diameter, tree diameter, crown class, and age on tree growth in mixed-species, even-aged hardwood stands
- Radial patterns of tree-ring chemical element concentration in two Appalachian hardwood stands
Dewalle, D.R.; Swistock, B.R.; Sharpe, W.E.
- Factors affecting temporal and spatial soil moisture variation in and adjacent to group selection openings
- Response of an Appalachian mountain forest soil, soil water and associated herbaceous vegetation to liming
Sharpe, W.E.; Swistock, B.R.; DeWalle, D.R.
- Long-term implications of forest harvesting on nutrient cycling in central hardwood forests
Lynch, J.A.; Corbett, E.S.
- Estimating timber supply from private forests
- New estimates of hardwood lumber exports from the central hardwood region
Luppold, W.; Thomas, E.
- Shiitake mushroom production on small diameter oak logs in Ohio
- The pallet industry: a changing hardwood market
Dempsey, G.P.; Martens, D.G.
- Factors determining the location of forest products firms
Fraser, R.F.; Goode, F.M.
- Are we underestimating the size of our hardwood industries?
Bratkovich, S.M.; Passewitz, G.R.
- Pistillate flower abortion in three species of oak
Cecich, R.A.; Brown, G.L.; Piotter, B.K.
- Impact of small mammals on regeneration of northern red oak
DeLong, C.A.; Yahner, R.H.
- Hardwood stumpage price trends in New England
Dennis, D.F.; Sendak, P.E.
- Predicting tree mortality following gypsy moth defoliation
Fosbroke, D.E.; Hicks, R.R.; Gottschalk, K.W.
- Invasion of a partially cut oak stand by hayscented fern
Groninger, J.W.; McCormick, L.H.
- Microcoppice: a new strategy for red oak clonal propagation
Harper, D.E.; McCown, B.H.
- Field testing a soil site field guide for Allegheny hardwoods
- Comparison of northern goshawk nesting habitat in Appalachian oak and northern hardwood forests of Pennsylvania
Kimmel, J.T.; Yahner, R.H.
- Response of chestnut oak and red oak to drought and fertilization: growth and physiology
Kleiner, M.D.; Abrams, M.D.; Schultz, J.C.
- Physiological and structural foliar characteristics of four central Pennsylvania barrens species in contrasting light regimes
Kloeppel, B.D.; Kubiske, M.E.; Abrams, M.D.
- Effect of stand age and soils on forest composition at Spotsylvania Battlefield, Virginia
Orwig, D.A.; Abrams, M.D.
- Field response of red oak, pin cherry and black cherry seedlings to a light gradient
- Pioneer Mothers' Memorial Forest revisited
Schlesinger, R.C.; Funk, D.T.; Roth, P.L.; Myers, C.C.
- Survival and growth of direct-seeded and natural northern red oak after c1earcutting a mature red pine plantation
Shipman, R.D.; Dimarcello, D.B.
- TREEGRAD: a grading program for eastern hardwoods
Stringer, J.W.; Cremeans, D.W.
- White oak seedling survival and vigor following acorn removal and water stress
Thorn, E.R.; Tzilkowski, W.M.
- Understory composition of hardwood stands in north central West Virginia
- Hardwoods are now being harvested at record levels
- Planting northern red oak: a comparison of stock types
Zaczek, J.J.; Steiner, K.C.; Bowersox, T.W.
- Measurement of forest condition and response along the Pennsylvania atmospheric deposition gradent
David, D.D.; Skelly, J.M.; Lynch, J.A.; McCormick, L.H.; Nash, B.L.; Simini, M.; Cameron, E.A.; McClenahen, J.R.; Long, R.P.
Description: Two invited papers, forty-five volunteer papers, and twenty volunteer poster summaries presented at the 8th Central Hardwood Forest Conference. Presentations were on economics, forest amenities, harvesting, utilization, physiology, genetics, ecology, regeneration, silviculture, protection, management, hydrology, soils, nutrient cycling, and hardwood markets of central hardwood forests.
View or Print this Publication (44.4 MB)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
- This publication may be available in hard copy. Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat. During the capture process some typographical errors may occur. Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
McCormick, Larry H.; Gottschalk, Kurt W., eds. 1991. Proceedings, 8th Central Hardwood Forest Conference. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-148. Radnor, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 54 p.
Get the latest version of the Adobe Acrobat reader or Acrobat Reader for Windows with Search and Accessibility