||All Treesearch publications were written or produced by Forest Service personnel
and are in the public domain. You can also locate Treesearch publications by geography and/or full text searches using GeoTreesearch.
US Forest Service
P.O. Box 96090
You are here: Home
/ Publication Information
Title: Proceedings of the fourth international workshop on the genetics of host-parasite interactions in forestry: Disease and insect resistance in forest trees
Author: Sniezko, Richard A.; Yanchuk, Alvin D.; Kliejunas, John T.; Palmieri, Katharine M.; Alexander, Janice M.; Frankel, Susan J.
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PSW-GTR-240. Albany, CA: Pacific Southwest Research Station, Forest Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture. 372 p
- Tree breeding for pest resistance for the next 50 years: the search for cross resistance?
Yanchuk, Alvin D.
- Multiple resistances against diseases and insects in a breeding population of pinus pinaster
Solla, Alejandr; Vivas, Maria; Cubera, Elena; Sampedro, Luis; Moreira, Xoaquin; Merlo, Esther; de la Mata, Raul; Zas, Rafael
- Endophyte mediated plant-herbivore interactions or cross resistance to fungi and insect herbivores
Saikkonen, Kari; Helander, Marjo
- Insertion site selection and feeding of the hemlock woolly adelgid: implications for host-plant resistance
Oten, K.L.F.; Cohen, A.C.; Hain, F.P.
- Genetic basis of resistance in eucalyptus spp. pathosystems
Alfenas, Acelino Couto; Guimaraes, Lucio Mauro da Silva; Resende, Marcos Deon Vilela
- Genetic variation of lodgepole pine physical and chemical defenses associated with each step in host selection behavior sequence by mountain pine beetle
Wallin, Kimberly F.; Ott, Daniel S.; Yanchuk, Alvin D.
- Stilbenes as constitutive and induced protection compounds in Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris L.)
Harju, Anni; Venalainen, Martti
- Simultaneous laurel wilt disease biology and resistance research
Smith, Jason A.; Ploetz, Randy C.
- Breeding poplars with durable resistance to Melampsora larici-populina leaf rust: a multidisciplinary approach to understand and delay pathogen adaptation
Dowkiw, V. Jorge; Villar, M.; Voisin, E.; Guérin, V.; Faivre-Rampant, P.; Bresson, A.; Bitton, F.; Duplessis, S.; Frey, P.; Petre, B.; Guinet, C.; Xhaard, C.; Fabre, B.; Halkett, F.; Plomion, C.; Lalanne, C.; Bastien, C.
- Developing hazelnuts (Corylus spp.) with durable resistance to eastern filbert blight caused by Anisogramma anomala
Molnar, Thomas J.; Capik, John; Leadbetter, Clayton W.; Zhang, Ning; Cai, Guohong; Hillman, Bradley I.
- Breeding for growth improvement and resistance to multiple pests in Thuja plicata
Russell, John H.; Yanchuk, Alvin D.
- The New Zealand douglas-fir breeding program: proposed adjustments for a changing climate
Dungey, Heidi; Low, Charlie; Miller, Mark; Fleet, Kane; Yanchuk, Alvin D.
- White pine blister rust resistance research in Minnesota and Wisconsin
David, Andrew; Berrang, Paul; Pike, Carrie
- Phenotypic evidence suggests a possible major-gene element to weevil resistance in Sitka spruce
King, John N.; Alfaro, René I.; Ott, Peter; vanAkker, Lara
- Operational program to develop Phytophthora lateralis-resistant populations of Port-Orford-cedar (Chamaecyparis lawsoniana)
Sniezko, R.A.; Hamlin, J.; Hansen, E.M.
- Strong partial resistance to white pine blister rust in sugar pine
Kinloch, Jr., Bohun B.; Burton, Deems; Davis, Dean A.; Westfall, Robert D.; Dunlap, Joan; Vogler, Detlev
- An investigation into western white pine partial resistance against the rust pathogen Cronartium ribicola using in vitro screening method
Noshad, D.; King, J.N.
- Resistance gene management: concepts and practice
Mundt, Christopher C.
- An overview of ecological and evolutionary research on disease in natural systems: an annotated reference list
Alexander, Helen M.
- What do we know about mechanisms for tolerating pathogens, and can tolerance be applied to managing tree diseases?
Roy, Bitty A.
- Approaches to understanding the impact of life-history features on plant-pathogen co-evolutionary dynamics
Burdon, Jeremy J.; Thrall, Peter H.; Nemri, Adnane
- Integrating regeneration, genetic resistance, and timing of intervention for the long-term sustainability of ecosystems challenged by non-native pests - a novel proactive approach
Schoettle, A. W; Klutsch, J. G.; Sniezko, R. A.
- Plant compensatory growth in aspen seedlings: the role of frequency and intensity of herbivory and resource availability
Erbilgin, Nadir; Galvez, David A.; Zhang, Bin
- Trade-offs between induced and constitutive resistance in two pine species: secondary chemistry, effective antiherbivore-resistance, and effect of nutrient availability
Sampedro, Luis; Moreira, Xoaquín; Zas, Rafael
- Host preference of the vector beetle, host resistance, and expanding patterns of Japanese oak wilt in a stand
Futai, Kazuyoshi; Kiku, Hiroaki; Qi, Hong-ye; Tarn, Hagus; Takeuchi, Yuko; Yamasaki, Michimasa.
- The effect of hemlock woolly adelgid infestation on water relations of Carolina and eastern hemlock
Rivera, Laura; Domec, JC; Frampton, John; Hain, Fred; King, John; Smith, Ben
- Genotype x environment interaction and growth stability of several elm clones resistant to Dutch elm disease
Santini, Alberto; Pecori, Francesco; Pepori, Alessia L.; Ghelardini, Luisa
- Rapid evolution of introduced tree pathogens via episodic selection and horizontal gene transfer
- Dynamics of surviving ash (Fraxinus spp.) populations in areas long infested by emerald ash borer (Agrilus planipennis)
Knight, Kathleen S.; Herms, Daniel; Plumb, Reid; Sawyer, Eileen; Spalink, Daniel; Pisarczyk, Elizabeth; Wiggin, Bernadette; Kappler, Rachel; Ziegler, Emily; Menard, Karen
- Coast live oak resistance to Phytophthora ramorum
McPherson, B.A.; Wood, David L.; Mori, Sylvia R.; Bonello, Pierluigi
- Relationship between field resistance to Phytophthora ramorum and constitutive phenolic chemistry of coast live oak
Nagle, A.M.; McPherson, B.A.; Wood, D.L.; Garbelotto, M.; Conrad, A.O.; Opiyo, S.; Bonello, P.
- Modeling elm growth and Dutch elm disease susceptibility
Santini, Alberto; Ghelardini, Luisa
- Altered distribution of susceptibility phenotypes implies environmental modulation of genetic resistance
Gordon, Thomas R.; McRoberts, Neil
- Latent infection by Fusarium circinatum influences susceptibility of monterey pine seedlings to pitch canker
Swett, Cassandra L.; Gordon, Thomas R.
- Breeding for resistance in Norway spruce to the root and butt rot fungi Heterobasidion spp
Swedjemark, G.; Borg-Karlson, A.K.; Karlsson, B.
- Using survival analysis for assessing resistance to Phytophthora lateralis in Port-Orford-Cedar families
Mori, Sylvia R.; Sniezko, Richard A.; Kegley, Angelia; Hamlin, Jim
- Integrating molecular tools and conventional approaches in the Oregon State University hazelnut breeding program
Mehlenbacher, Shawn A.
- High-resolution genetic and physical mapping of eastern filbert blight resistance in hazelnut
Sathuvall, Vidyasagar; Mehlenbacher, Shawn A.
- Molecular and genetic basis for partial resistance of western white pine against Cronartium ribicola.
Liu, Jun-Jun; Zamany, Arezoo; Sniezko, Richard.
- Mapping resistance to Phytophthora cinnamomi in chestnut (Castanea sp.)
Olukolu, Bode A.; Nelson, C. Dana; Abbott, Albert G.
- Methods for screening Port-Orford-cedar for resistance to Phytophthora lateralis
Hansen, Everett M.; Reeser, Paul; Sutton, Wendy; Sniezko, Richard A.
- Resistance to Phytophthora cinnamomi in the Genus Abies
Frampton, John; Isik, Fikret; Benson, Mike; Kobliha, Jaroslav; Stjskal, Jan
- Host resistance screening for balsam woolly adelgid: A comparison of seedlings from 12 fir species
Newton, Leslie; Frampton, John; Hain, Fred
- Resistance to Phytophthora cinnamomi among seedlings from backcross families of hybrid american chestnut
Jeffers, Steven N.; Meadows, Inga M.; James, Joseph B.; Sisco, Paul H.
- Screening for resistance to beech bark disease: Improvements and results from seedlings and grafted field selections
Koch, Jennifer L.; Mason, Mary E.; Carey, David W.
- Breeding resistance to butternut canker disease
McKenna, James; Woeste, Keith; Ostry, Michael
- Towards the development of a laurel wilt screening program in redbay (Persea borbonia)
Hughes, Marc; Smith, Jason
- Breeding Eucalyptus for disease resistance
Zauza, Edival A.V.; Alfenas, Acelino Couto; da Silva Guimarães, Lúcio Mauro; da Silva, João Flávio
- Identification of pathogen avirulencegenes in the fusiform rust pathosystem
Davis, John M.; Smith, Katherine E.; Pendleton, Amanda; Smith, Jason A.; Nelson, C. Dana
- Tandem selection for fusiform rust sisease resistance to develop a clonal elite breeding population of loblolly pine
McKeand, Steve; Garcia, Saul; Steiger, Josh; Grissom, Jim; Whetten, Ross; Isik, Fikret.
- Bulked fusiform rust inocula and Fr gene interactions in loblolly pine
Isik, Fikret; Amerson, Henry; Garcia, Saul; Whetten, Ross; McKeand, Steve.
- Selection of loblolly pine varieties resistant to fusiform rust for commercial deployment
Benowicz, Andy; Weir, Robert J.
- The American Chestnut Foundation breeding program
- Breeding strategies for the development of emerald ash borer - resistant North American ash
Koch, Jennifer L.; Carey, David W.; Knight, Kathleen S.; Poland, Therese; Herms, Daniel A.; Mason, Mary E.
- Breeding for disease resistance in Hevea spp. - status, potential threats, and possible strategies.
Narayanan, Chaendaekattu; Mydin, Kavitha K.
- Developing a disease resistance research program for tanoaks
Hayden, Katherine J.; Wright, Jessica W.; Dodd, Richard S.; Garbelotto, Matteo.
- Genetic variation in resistance to pine pitch canker and western gall rust in Monterey pine (Pinus radiata D. Don): Results from a three-country collaborative field trial
Matheson, A.C.; Mark, W.R.; Stovold, G.; Balocchi, C.; Smith, N.; Brassey, C.
- Genetic selection in coastal Douglas-fir for tolerance to Swiss needle cast disease
Jayawickrama, Keith J.S.; Shaw, David; Ye, Terrance Z.
- White pine blister rust resistance in Pinus monticola and P. albicaulis in the Pacific Northwest U.S. – A tale of two species
Sniezko, Richard A.; Kegley, Angelia; Danchok, Robert
- Shoot winter injury and nut cold tolerance: Possible limitations for American chestnut restoration in cold environments? In: Sniezko, Richard A.; Yanchuk, Alvin D.; Kliejunas, John T.; Palmieri, Katharine M.; Alexander, Janice M.; Frankel, Susan J., tech
Saielli, Thomas M.; Schaberg, Paul G.; Hawley, Gary J.; Halman, Joshua M.; Gurney, Kendra M.
- Screening Sitka spruce for resistance to weevil damage in British Columbia
Alfaro, René I.; King, John N.
- Developing clones of Eucalyptus cloeziana resistant to rust (Puccinia psidii)
Alfenas, Rafael F.; Coutinho, Marcelo M.; Freitas, Camila S.; Freitas, Rodrigo G.; Alfenas, Acelino C.
- Screening for resistance to fusiform rust in southern United States forest trees
- Frequency of hypersensitive-like reaction and stem infections in a large full-sib family of Pinus monticola
Danchok, Robert S.; Sniezko, R.A.; Long, S.; Kegley, A.; Savin, D.; Mayo, J.B.; Liu, J.J.; Hill, J.
- Operational disease screening program for resistance to wilt in Acacia koa in Hawaii
Dudley, Nick; James, Robert; Sniezko, Richard; Cannon, Phil; Yeh, Aileen; Jones, Tyler; Kaufmann, Michael
- A first look at genetic variation in resistance to the root pathogen Phytophthora cinnamomi using a range-wide collection of Pacific madrone (Arbutus menziesii)
Elliott, Marianne; Chastaner, Gary A.; DeBauw, Annie; Dermott, Gil; Sniezko, Richard A.
- Range-wide genetic variability in Pacific madrone (Arbutus menziesii): examining disease resistance, growth, and survival in a common garden study
Elliott, Marianne; Chastagner, Gary A.; Dermott, Gil; Kanaskie, Alan; Sniezko, Richard A.; Hamlin, Jim.
- Development of Screening Trials to Rank Pinus radiata Genotypes for Resistance to Defoliation by Monterey Pine Aphid (Essigella californica)
Elms, Stephen; Ades, Peter; Collet, Nick
- Tree-mediated interactions between the jack pine budworm and a mountain pine beetle fungal
Erbilgin, Nadir; Colgan, Jessie
- The chapter breeding program of the American Chestnut Foundation
Fitzsimmons, Sara; Gurney, Kendra; White, William; McCune, Katy
- Needle terpenoid composition of Pinus halepensis (Mill.) Trees infested by the scale insect Marchalina hellenica (Genn.) in Greece
Gallis, Athanassios; Arrabal, Carlos; Papageorgiou, Aristotle C.; Garcia-Vallejo, Maria C.
- Genetic variation of piperidine alkaloids in Pinus ponderosa from a common garden
Gerson, Elizabeth A.; Kelsey, Rick G.; St. Clair, Bradley J.
- Gene expression in the tanoak-Phytophthora ramorum interaction
Hayden, Katherine J.; Garbelotto, Matteo; Fai, Hardeep; Knaus, Brian; Cronn, Richard; Wright, Jessica W.
- Blister rust resistance among 19 families of whitebark pine, Pinus albicaulis, from Oregon and Washington – early results from an artificial inoculation trial
Kegley, Angelia; Sniezko, Richard A.; Danchok, Robert; Savin, Douglas P.
- Interaction of an invasive bark beetle with a native forest pathogen: Potential effect of dwarf mistletoe on range expansion of mountain pine beetle in jack pine forests
Klutsch, Jennifer; Erbilgin, Nadir
- Using Dutch elm disease-tolerant elm to restore floodplains impacted by emerald ash borer
Knight, Kathleen S.; Slavicek, James M.; Kappler, Rachel; Pisarczyk, Elizabeth; Wiggin, Bernadette; Menard, Karen.
- Quantitative trait loci for resistance to two fungal pathogens in Quercus robur
Robin, Cécile; Mougou-Hamdane, Amira; Gion, Jean-Marc; Kremer, Antoine; Desprez-Loustau, Marie-Laure.
- Testing resistance to chestnut blight of hybrid chestnuts
Robin, Cécile; Capdevielle, Xavier; Saint-Jean, Gille; Barreneche, Teresa
- The Italian elm breeding program for Dutch elm disease resistance
Santini, Alberto; Pecori, Francesco; Ghelardini, Luisa
- Patterns of resistance to Cronartium ribicola in Pinus aristata, Rocky Mountain bristlecone pine
Schoettle, A. W.; Sniezko, R. A.; Kegley, A.; Danchok, R.; Burns, K. S.
- Development of methods for the restoration of the American elm in forested landscapes
Slavicek, James M.
- Generation of American elm trees with tolerance to Dutch elm disease through controlled crosses and selection
Slavicek, James M.; Knight, Kathleen S.
- Breeding for resistance to adelgids in Abies fraseri, Tsuga canadensis, and T. caroliniana
Smith, Ben; Hain, Fred; Frampton, John
- Nine year survival of 16 Phytophthora lateralis resistant and susceptible Port-Orford-Cedar families in a Southern Oregon field trial
Sniezko, Richard A.; Hamlin, Jim; Hansen, Everett M.; Lucas, Sunny
- White pine blister rust resistance of 12 western white pine families at three field sites in the Pacific Northwest
Sniezko, Richard A.; Danchok, Robert; Hamlin, Jim; Kegley, Angelia; Long, Sally; Mayo, James
- Needle reactions in resistance to Cronartium ribicola: Hypersensitivity response or not?
Sweeney, Katarina; Stone, Jeffrey; Cook, Kathy; Sniezko, Richard A.; Kegley, Angelia; Schoettle, Anna W.
- The potential of breeding for enhanced inducibility in Pinus pinaster and Pinus radiata
Zas, Rafael; Solla, Alejandro; Moreira, Xoaquin; Sampedro, Luis
Description: Individual papers are available at http://www.fs.fed.us/psw/publications/documents/psw_gtr240/
The Fourth International Workshop on the Genetics of Host-Parasite Interactions in Forestry: Disease and Insect Resistance in Forest Trees provided a forum for research and management options and successes which have occurred over the last 30 years (the previous workshop was held in 1980 in Wageningen, The Netherlands). Eighty-eight submissions from oral and poster presentations at the 2011 workshop held in Eugene, Oregon provide a worldwide, comprehensive update on many aspects of research and operational programs on genetic resistance to forest insects and diseases. Topics of concern to natural forest systems and intensively managed forests are discussed, including resistance mechanisms, durability of resistance, ecology and evolutionary biology of resistance and tolerance, pathogen evolution, molecular tools, short-term screening assays for resistance and status of several applied forest tree resistance programs.
Keywords: forest disease and insect resistance, evolutionary biology, climate change, durable resistance
View or Print this Publication (45.8 MB)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication. (Please specify exactly
which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
Sniezko, Richard A.; Yanchuk, Alvin D.; Kliejunas, John T.; Palmieri, Katharine M.; Alexander, Janice M.; Frankel, Susan J., tech. coords. 2012. Proceedings of the fourth international workshop on the genetics of host-parasite interactions in forestry: Disease and insect resistance in forest trees. Gen. Tech. Rep. PSW-GTR-240. Albany, CA: Pacific Southwest Research Station, Forest Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture. 372 p.
Get the latest version of the Adobe Acrobat reader or Acrobat Reader for Windows with Search and Accessibility