||All Treesearch publications were written or produced by Forest Service personnel
and are in the public domain. You can also locate Treesearch publications by geography and/or full text searches using GeoTreesearch.
US Forest Service
P.O. Box 96090
You are here: Home
/ Publication Information
Title: Proceedings, 10th Central Hardwood Forest Conference
Author: Gottschalk, Kurt W.; Fosbroke, Sandra L.C., eds. eds.
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-197. Radnor, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 577 p.
- Walking the talk
Kellison, R. C.
- Forest health assessment for eastern hardwood forests
Twardus, Daniel B.
- Characteristics and dynamics of an upland Missouri old-growth forest
Richards, R. Hoyt; Shifley, Stephen R.; Rebertus, Alan J.; Chaplin, Stephen J.
- Structural and compositional differences between old-growth and mature second-growth forests in the Missouri Ozarks
Shifley, Stephen R.; Roovers, Lynn M.; Brookshire, Brian L.
- Development of a central hardwood stand following whole-tree clearcutting in Connecticut
Martin, C. Wayne
- Impacts of electronic deer exclusion fencing and soils on plant species abundance, richness, and diversity following clearcutting in Pennsylvania
Lyon, Jonathan; Sharpe, William E.
- Variability in oak forest herb layer communities
McClenahen, J. R.; Long, R. P.
- Carbon and nitrogen pools in oak-hickory forests of varying productivity
Kaczmarek, Donald J.; Rodkey, Karyn S.; Reber, Robert T.; Pope, Phillip E.; Ponder, Felix, Jr. Jr.
- The distribution of nitrogen and phosphorus in forest floor layers of oak-hickory forests of varying productivity
Rodkey, Karyn S.; Kaczmarek, Donald J.; Pope, Phillip E.
- Plant and soil nutrients in young versus mature central Appalachian hardwood stands
Gilliam, Frank S.; Adams, Mary Beth
- Nutrient budgets of two watersheds on the Fernow Experimental Forest
Adams, M. B.; Kochenderfer, J. N.; Angradi, T. R.; Edwards, P. J.
- The effects of doubling annual N and S deposition on foliage and soil chemistry and growth of Japanese larch (Larix leptolepis Sieb. and Zucc.) in north central West Virginia
Pickens, Callie J.; Sharpe, William E.; Edwards, Pamela J.
- Tree survivorship in an oak-hickory forest in southeast Missouri, USA under a long-term regime of annual and periodic controlled burning
Huddle, Julie A.; Pallardy, Stephen G.
- Chemical release of pole-sized trees in a central hardwood clearcut
Van Sambeek, J. W.; Kai, D. Abugarshall; Shenaut, David B.
- Forest values and how to sustain them
Minckler, Leon S.
- Changes in a Missouri Ozark oak-hickory forest during 40 years of uneven-aged management
Loewenstein, Edward F.; Garrett, Harold E.; Johnson, Paul S.; Dwyer, John P.
- Forest floor CO2 flux from two contrasting ecosystems in the Southern Appalachians
Vose, James M.; Clinton, Barton D.; Emrick, Verl
- Acid-base status of upper rooting zone soil in declining and non-declining sugar maple (Acer saccharum Marsh) stands in Pennsylvania
Sharpe, William E.; Sunderland, Troy L.
- Tree-ring chemistry response in black cherry to ammonium sulfate fertilization at two West Virginia sites
DeWalle, David R.; Tepp, Jeffrey S.; Pickens, Callie J.; Edwards, Pamela J.; Sharpe, William E.
- Elemental concentrations in foliage of red maple, red oak, and white oak in relation to atmospheric deposition in Pennsylvania
Davis, D. D.; Skelly, J. M.; Nash, B. L.
- Landscape-level regeneration adequacy for native hardwood forests of Pennsylvania
McWilliams, William H.; Bowersox, Todd W.; Gansner, David A.; McCormick, Larry H.; Stout, Susan L.
- Landscape variation in species diversity and succession as related to topography, soils and human disturbance
Pearcy, Jeffery N.; Hix, David M.; Drury, Stacy A.
- Canopy openings and white-tailed deer influence the understory vegetation in mixed oak woodlots
Bowersox, Todd W.; Storm, Gerald L.; Tzilkowski, Walter M.
- History of deer population trends and forest cutting on the Allegheny National Forest
- Effects of two-age management and clearcutting on songbird density and reproductive success
Nichols, Jeffery V.; Bohall Wood, Petra
- An analysis of phenotypic selection in natural stands of northern red oak (Quercus rubra L.)
Stringer, Jeffery W.; Wagner, David B.; Schlarbaum, Scott E.; Houston, Daniel B.
- Pollination biology of northern red and black oak
Cecich, Robert A.; Haenchen, William W.
- Age trends in genetic control of Juglans nigra L. height growth
Rink, George; Kung, F. H.
- Effects of hayscented fern density and light on white ash seedling growth
Hippensteel, Tracy E.; Bowersox, Todd W.
- The influence of shade on northern red oak seedlings growth and carbon balance
Jennings, Jennifer L.
- Characteristics of a long-term forest soil productivity research site in Missouri
Ponder, Felix, Jr. Jr.; Mikkelson, Nancy M.
- A summary of water yield experiments on hardwood forested watersheds in northeastern United States
Hornbeck, J. W.; Adams, M. B.; Corbett, E. S.; Verry, E. S.; Lynch, J. A.
- Seasonal isotope hydrology of Appalachian forest catchments
DeWalle, D. R.; Edwards, P. J.; Swistock, B. R.; Drimmie, R. J.; Aravena, R.
- Spatial characteristics of topography, energy exchange, and forest cover in a central Appalachian watershed
Tajchman, Stanislaw J.; Fu, Hailiang; Kochenderfer, James N.; Chunshen, Pan
- Drought tolerance of sugar maple ecotypes
Hauer, Richard J.; Dawson, Jeffery O.
- Tree regeneration following group selection harvesting in southern Indiana
Weigel, Dale R.; Parker, George R.
- Regeneration in defoliated and thinned hardwood stands of north-central West Virginia
Muzika, R. M.; Twery, M. J.
- Two-year results of herbicide released, naturally-regenerated bottomland cherrybark and shumard oak seedlings
Thompson, John F., Jr. Jr.; Nix, Larry E.
- Site preparation for red oak plantation establishment on old field sites in southern Indiana
Rathfon, Ron A.; Kaczmarek, Don J.; Pope, Phil E.
- An eight-acre black walnut plantation: history and observations 1982 - 1994
Saboites, Charles J.
- Development and quality of reproduction in two-age central Appalachian hardwoods - 10-year results
Miller, Gary W.; Schuler, Thomas M.
- Shelterwood treatments fail to establish oak reproduction on mesic forest sites in West Virginia - 10-year results
Schuler, Thomas M.; Miller, Gary W.
- Intensity of precommercial crop-tree release increases diameter and crown growth in upland hardwoods
Ward, Jeffrey S.
- Individual tree- versus stand-level approaches to thinning: is it a choice of one or the other, or a combination of both?
Nowak, Christopher A.
- Forest health in West Virginia: past, present and future
Hicks, Ray R., Jr. Jr.; Mudrick, Darlene A.
- Spatial trends in relative stocking point to potential problems in forest health
Gansner, David A.; King, Susan L.; Arner, Stanford L.; Widmann, Richard H.; Drake, David A.
- Dimilin effects on leaf-decomposing aquatic fungi on the Fernow Experimental Forest, West Virginia
Dubey, T.; Stephenson, S. L.; Edwards, P. J.
- The effect of acorn insects on the establishment and vigor of northern red oak seedlings in north-central West Virginia
Gribko, Linda S.
- Logging safety in forest management education
Fosbroke, David Elton; Myers, John R.
- Forest management practices and the occupational safety and health administration logging standard
Myers, John R.; Fosbroke, David Elton
- Hardwood silviculture and skyline yarding on steep slopes: economic and environmental impacts
Baumgras, John E.; LeDoux, Chris B.
- FOREX - an expert system for managing even-aged upland oak forests on steep terrain
LeDoux, Chris B.; Gopalakrishnan, B.; Lankalapalli, K.
- Effect of the hardwood resource on the sawmill industry in the central and Appalachian regions
- Variation in pin knot frequency in black walnut lumber cut from a small provenance/progeny test
Chen, Peter Y. S.; Bodkin, Robert E.; Van Sambeek, J. W.
- Autumn predation of northern red oak seed crops
Steiner, Kim C.
- Planting depth effects and water potential effects on oak seedling emergence and acorn germination
Smiles, Wayne A.; Dawson, Jeffrey O.
- Use of plastic films for weed control during field establishment of micropropagated hardwoods
Van Sambeek, J. W.; Preece, John E.; Huetteman, Carl A.; Roth, Paul L.
- Protection of tree seedlings from deer browsing
Ward, Jeffrey S.; Stephens, George R.
- Effects of tree shelters on planted red oaks after six growing seasons
Lantagne, Douglas O.
- Red spruce/hardwood ecotones in the central Appalachians
Adams, Harold S.; Stephenson, Steven L.; Lawrence, David M.; Adams, Mary Beth; Eisenback, John D.
- Nitrogen dynamics in oak forest soils along a historical deposition gradient
Boerner, Ralph E. J.; Sutherland, Elaine Kennedy
- Temporal variation in photosynthetically active radiation (par) in mesic southern Appalachian hardwood forests with and without Rhododendron understories
Clinton, Barton D.
- Short term evaluation of harvesting systems for ecosystem management
Erickson, Michael D.; Peters, Penn; Hassler, Curt
- Herbaceous vegetation in thinned and defoliated forest stands in north central West Virginia
Fosbroke, S. L. C.; Feicht, D.; Muzika, R. M.
- Defoliation and mortality patterns in forests silviculturally managed for gypsy moth
Gottschalk, Kurt W.; Muzika, Rose-Marie
- A generalized ingrowth model for the northeastern United States
Gribko, Linda S.; Hilt, Donald E.; Fajvan, Mary Ann
- Black walnut response to subsoiling, irrigation, and vegetation management on a site with a shallow fragipan
McBride, F. D.; Van Sambeek, J. W.
- Distribution, dispersal and abundance of hayscented fern spores in mixed hardwood stands
McCormick, Larry H.; Penrod, Kathy A.
- Identification of canopy strata in Allegheny hardwood stands
McGill, David W.; Jones, Stephen B.; Nowak, Christopher A.
- A method for applying group selection in central Appalachian hardwoods
Miller, Gary W.; Schuler, Thomas M.
- Fifty-year response of a 135-yr-old white pine stand to partial thinning in Connecticut
Nicholson, Darryl S.; Ward, Jeffrey S.
- Forest stand development on 6-26 year-old clearcuts in southeastern Ohio
Norland, Eric R.; Hix, David M.
- Vegetation analysis, environmental relationships, and potential successional trends in the Missouri forest ecosystem project
Pallardy, Stephen G.
- Timber marking guidelines to minimize chainsaw felling accidents
Peters, Penn A.; Erickson, Michael D.; Hassler, Curt D.
- Mating parameter estimates of black walnut based on natural and artificial populations
Rink, George; Zhang, Guoqiang; Jinghua, Zuo; Kung, Fan H.
- Variation among northern red oak provenances in bark thickness:dbh ratios
Russell, Matthew S.; Dawson, Jeffrey O.
- Preliminary guidelines for the use of tree shelters to regenerate northern red oak and other hardwood species on good to excellent growing sites
Schuler, Thomas M.; Miller, Gary W.; Smith, H. Clay
- The effect of site disturbance on nitrogen and phosphorus availability in Indiana oak-hickory forests
Scott, D. Andrew; Pope, Phillip E.; Kaczmarek, Donald J.; Rodkey, Karyn S.
- Salamander abundance in small clearcuts
Soehn, Dana A.; Michael, Edwin D.
- Production and trade flows of Michigan forest products
- Ecosystems management research in hardwood forests dominated by deer
Stout, Susan L.; deCalesta, David S.; Horsley, Stephen B.; Nowak, Christopher A.; Redding, James C.
Description: Two invited papers, 57 volunteer papers, and 22 volunteer poster summaries presented at the 10th Central Hardwood Forest Conference. Presentation topics included economics, forest amenities, harvesting, logging safety, utilization, physiology, genetics, ecology, regeneration, silviculture, protection, management, hydrology, soils, nutrient cycling, and hardwood markets of central hardwood forests.
View or Print this Publication (40.1 MB)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
- This publication may be available in hard copy. Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat. During the capture process some typographical errors may occur. Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
Gottschalk, Kurt W.; Fosbroke, Sandra L.C., eds. 1995. Proceedings, 10th Central Hardwood Forest Conference. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-197. Radnor, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 577 p.
Get the latest version of the Adobe Acrobat reader or Acrobat Reader for Windows with Search and Accessibility