||All Treesearch publications were written or produced by Forest Service personnel
and are in the public domain. You can also locate Treesearch publications by geography and/or full text searches using GeoTreesearch.
US Forest Service
P.O. Box 96090
You are here: Home
/ Publication Information
Title: Communicating the role of silviculture in managing the national forests: Proceedings of the National Silviculture Workshop
Author: Northeastern Forest Experiment Station,
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-238. Radnor, PA: U. S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 205p.
- Opening remarks: welcome to the Allegheny National Forest; but will we be here 10 years from now?
Palmer, John E.
- Communicating silviculture: values and benefits for the new millennium
Powers, Robert F.; Aune, Philip S.
- Silviculture: what is it like, and where have we journeyed?
Nyland, Ralph D.
- Stewart's maxims: eight "do's" for successfully communicating silviculture to policymakers
Stewart, R. E.
- Is the northern spotted owl worth more than the orangutan?
- Carbon sequestration in forests as a national policy issue
Heath, Linda S.; Joyce, Linda A.
- Plant morphological characteristics as a tool in monitoring response to silvicultural activities
Buckley, David S.; Zasada, John C.; Tappeiner, John C., II; Stone, Douglas M.
- Monitoring the effects of partial cutting and gap size on microclimate and vegetation responses in northern hardwood forests in Wisconsin
Strong, Terry F.; Teclaw, Ron M.; Zasada, John C.
- Communicating the role of science in managing giant sequoia groves
Pilrto, Douglas D.; Rogers, Robert R.; Bethke, Mary Chislock
- Communicating the role of genetics in management
Mahalovich, Mary F.
- Demonstrating vegetation dynamics using SIMPPLLE
Scott, Glenda; Chew, Jimmie D.
- Preparing for the gypsy moth - design and analysis for stand management Dorr Run, Wayne National Forest
Colbert, J. J.; Perry, Phil; Onken, Bradley
- Communicating old-growth forest management on the Allegheny National Forest
Nelson, Brad; Nowak, Chris; Reitz, Scott; deCalesta, Dave; Wingate, Steve
- Use of expert systems for integrated silvicultural planning
LeDoux, Chris B.
- Assessing Native American disturbances in mixed oak forests of the Allegheny Plateau
Ruffner, Charles M.; Sluyter, Andrew; Abrams, Marc D.; Crothers, Charlie; McLaughlin, Jack; Kandare, Richard
- Communicating the role of silviculture and Forest Service silviculture research in the interior West
Ferguson, Dennis E.; Applegate, Victor J.; Aune, Philip S.; Carlson, Clinton E.; Geier-Hayes, Kathleen; Graham, Russell T.; Jacobsen, Glenn L.; Jain, Theresa B.; Powell, David C.; Shepperd, Wayne D.; Sloan, John P.; Youngblood, Andrew
- The value of long-term silvicultural research studies
Shepperd, Wayne D.; Edminster, Carleton B.
- Defining the role of silvicultural research in the Northeastern Forest Experiment Station
Nowak, Chris; Stout, Susan; Brissette, John; Kenefic, Laura; Miller, Gary; Leak, Bill; Yaussy, Dan; Schuler, Tom; Gottschalk, Kurt
- Two-age silviculture on the Monongahela National Forest - managers and scientists assess 17 years of communication
Miller, Gary; Johnson, James E.; Baumgras, John E.; Bustamente, R. Gary
- Use of molecular genetic markers in forest management
Echt, Craig S.
- North American long-term soil productivity research program
Tiarks, Allan E.; Buford, Marilyn A.; Powers, Robert F.; Ragus, Jerry F.; Page-Dumroese, Deborah S.; Ponder, Felix, Jr.; Stone, Douglas M.
- Communicating the story of silviculture on the Allegheny National Forest
DeMarco, Lois M.; Stout, Susan L.
- Bent Creek demonstration program
Berg, Erik C.
- Evaluating and communicating options for harvesting young-growth douglas-fir forests
DeBell, Dean S.; DeBell, Jeffery D.; Curtis, Robert O.; Allison, Nancy K.
- Seeing is believing
Wingate, Steve; Wolf, David
- An historical overview of forest service silvicultural activities in Puerto Rico and the Caribbean Islands
Weaver, Peter L.
- Communicating the value and benefits of silviculture through partnerships and collaborative stewardship
Weldon, Leslie A. C.
- Demonstrating appropriate silviculture for sustainable forestry in central Siberia: a Russian - American partnership
Brissette, J. C.; Eubanks, S. T.; Gillespie, A. J. R.; Lasko, R. J.; Rykoff, A. V.
- The Blue Mountains Natural Resources Institute: partnerships that demonstrate the role of silviculture in forest management
McIver, James; Youngblood, Andrew
- Monitoring the mighty duck timber sale: a national forest - conservation organization - research partnership
Stone, Douglas M.; Strand, Jay C.
- The role of silviculture in the active management of riparian zone vegetation in the Oregon Coast Range: a partnership between researchers and managers
Chan, Samuel S.; David Bailey, Margaret; Karnes, Daniel; Metzger, Robert; Kastner, Walter W., Jr.
- Raccoon ecological management area: partnership between Forest Service research and Mead Corporation
Yaussy, Daniel; Lashbrook, Wayne; Smith, Walt
Description: Contains 32 articles on communicating the values and benefits of silviculture in managing the national forests. Specific topics addressed are how communications affect: policymakers, inventory and monitoring, resource management, research, education and demonstration, and partnerships.
View or Print this Publication (19.2 MB)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
- This publication may be available in hard copy. Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat. During the capture process some typographical errors may occur. Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
Northeastern Forest Experiment Station 1997. Communicating the role of silviculture in managing the national forests: Proceedings of the National Silviculture Workshop. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-238. Radnor, PA: U. S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 205p.
Get the latest version of the Adobe Acrobat reader or Acrobat Reader for Windows with Search and Accessibility