You are here: Home
/ Publication Information
Title: Visitor use density and wilderness experience: proceedings; 2000 June 13; Missoula, MT
Author: Freimund, Wayne A.; Cole, David N.
Source: Proceedings RMRS-P-20. Ogden, UT: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 67 p.
- Use density, visitor experience, and limiting recreational use in wilderness: progress to date and research needs
Freimund, Wayne A.; Cole, David N.
- Visitor use density and wilderness experiences: a historical review of research
Cole, David N.
- Carrying capacity as "informed judgment": The values of science and the science of values
Manning, Robert E.
- Approaches to measuring quality of the wilderness experience
Borrie, William T.; Birzell, Robert M.
- Use limits in wilderness: Assumptions and gaps in knowledge
Hall, Troy E.
- Limiting recreational use in wilderness: Research issues and management challenges in appraising their effectiveness
McCool, Stephen F.
- Wilderness solitude: Beyond the social-spatial perspective
Hollenhorst, Steven J.; Jones, Christopher D.
- Goal interference and social value differences: understanding wilderness conflicts and implications for managing social density
Watson, Alan E.
Description: The workshop was convened to assess progress and offer further ideas regarding scientific contributions to (1) understanding relationships between visitor use density and wilderness experiences and (2) applying such knowledge to decisions about use limitation in wilderness and parks. The first paper provides an overview of the topic and the papers presented at the workshop. Subsequent papers include reviews of previous research, discussion of issues related to use limitation, exploration of the solitude concept and of visitor conflict, and explications of alternative research methodologies.
Keywords: carrying capacity, recreation management, solitude, use limits, visitor density, wilderness experience, research methods
View or Print this Publication (605 KB)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication. (Please specify exactly
which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
Freimund, Wayne A.; Cole, David N., comps. 2001. Visitor use density and wilderness experience: proceedings; 2000 June 13; Missoula, MT. Proceedings RMRS-P-20. Ogden, UT: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 67 p.
Get the latest version of the Adobe Acrobat reader or Acrobat Reader for Windows with Search and Accessibility