||All Treesearch publications were written or produced by Forest Service personnel
and are in the public domain. You can also locate Treesearch publications by geography and/or full text searches using GeoTreesearch.
US Forest Service
P.O. Box 96090
You are here: Home
/ Publication Information
Title: Upland oak ecology symposium: history, current conditions, and sustainability
Author: Spetich, Martin A.
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-73. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 311 p.
- Upland Oak Ecology Symposium: A Synthesis
Spetich, Martin A.
- Thinking About Oak Forests as Responsive Ecosystems
Johnson, Paul S.
- Upland Hardwood Forests and Related Communities of the Arkansas Ozarks in the Early 19th Century
Foti, Thomas L.
- The Forest as a Resource: From Prehistory to History in the Arkansas Ozarks
Sabo, George III; Lockhart, Jami Joe; Hilliard, Jerry E.
- History of Missouri Forests in the Era of Exploitation and Conservation
Benac, David; Flader, Susan
- Old-growth Wooded Pasture in the Ozarks
Jurney, David H.; Stahle, David W.
- Age Distribution of Oak Forests in North-Central Arkansas
Soucy, Rick; Heitzman, Eric; Spetich, Martin A.
- Patterns of Oak Dominance in the Eastern Ouachita Mountains Suggested by Early Records
Bragg, Don C.
- Upland Oak Ecology and Management
Van Lear, D.H.
- Oak Dispersal Syndromes: Do Red and White Oaks Exhibit Different Dispersal Srategies?
Steele, Michael; Smallwood, Peter; Terzaghi, William B.; Carlson, John E.; conteras, Thomas; McEuen, Amy
- The Keystone Role of Oak and Hickory in the Central Hardwood Forest
Fralish, James S.
- A Pilot Test of Indicator Species to Assess Uniqueness of Oak-Dominated Ecoregions in Central Tennessee
McNab, W. Henry; Loftis, David L.; Schweitzer, Callie J.; Sheffield, Raymond
- Oak Forest Composition, Site Quality, and Dynamics in Relation to Site Factors in the Southeastern Missouri Ozarks
Kabrick, John M.; Shifley, Stephen R.; Jensen, Randy G.; Larsen, David R.; Grabner, Jennifer K.
- A Dendrochronological Analysis of Red Oak Borer Abundance
Muzika, Rose-Marie; Guyette, Richard P.
- Wildlife and Upland Oak Forests
Dickson, James G.
- Oak-Black Bear Relationships in Southeastern Uplands
Clark, Joseph D.
- Use of Tree Species by Summer Birds in Ozark Upland Oak-Hickory Forest
Patterson, C. Joan; James, Douglas A.
- Survival of Hardwood Regeneration During Prescribed Fires: The Importance of Root Development and Root Rollar Location
Brose, Patrick; Van Lear, David
- The Effects of Humans and Topography on Wildland Fire, Forests, and Species Abundance
Guyette, Richard P.; Dey, Daniel
- Fire History of a Forest, Savanna, and Fen Mosaic at White Ranch State Forest
Dey, Daniel C.; Guyette, Ricahrd P.; Stambaugh, Michael C.
- A Perspective on Quercus Life History Characteristics and Forest Diturbance
Guyette, Richard P.; Muzika, Rose-Marie; Kabrick, John; Stambaugh, Michael C.
- Survivorship and Growth of Oak Regeneration in Wind-Created Gaps
Berg, Erik C.
- Comparison of Saproxylic Beetle (Coleoptera) Assemblages in Upland Hardwood and Bottomland Hardwood Forests
Warriner, Michael D.; Nebeker, T. Even; Tucker, Steven A.; Schiefer, Terence L.
- Litter Decomposition in Low and High Mortality Northern Red Oak Stands on Extremely Acidic Southwestern Pennsylvania Soils
Demchik, Michael C.; Sharpe, William E.
- Characterization of an Old-Growth Forest in the Cross Timbers of Oklahoma
Clark, S.L.; Hallgren, S.W.
- Upland Oak Regeneration and Management
Loftis, David L.
- Effects of Different Large-Scale Prescribed Burning Regimes of Advance Reproduction in the Missouri Ozarks
Dey, Daniel C.; Hartman, George
- Oak Ecosystem Restoration and Maintenance in Southern Illinois
Ruffner, Charles M.; Groninger, John W.
- Effect of Pre-Harvest Shade Control and Fencing on Northern Red oak Seedling Development in the Central Appalachians
Miller, Gary W.; Kochenerfer, James N.; Gottschalk, Kurt W.
- Oak Growth and Response to Thinning
Shifley, Stephen R.
- Success of Underplanting Northern Red Oaks
Spetich, Martin A.; Dey, Daniel C.; Johnson, Paul S.; Graney, David L.
- Wood Products by Species and Quality in Upland Forests
Patterson, David W.
- Oak Decline and Red Oak Borer in the Interior Highlands of Arkansas an Missouri: Natural Phenomena, Severe Occurrences
Starkey, Dale A.; Oliveria, Forrest; Mangini, Alexander; Mielke, Manfred
- Biology and Sampling of Red Oak Borer Populations in the Ozark Mountains of Arkansas
Crook, Damon; Stephen, Fred; Fierke, Melissa; Kinney, Dana; Silisbury, Vaughn
- Oak Mortality Trends on the Interior Highlands of Arkansas
Rosson, James F. Jr.
- Assessing Oak Decline Incidence and Distribution in the Southern U.S. Using Forest Inventory and Analysis Data
Oak, Steven W.; Steinman, James R.; Starkey, Dale A.; Yockey, Edwin K.
- Birds of Upland Oak Forests in the Arkansas Ozarks: Present Community Structure and Potential Impacts of Burning, Borers, and Forestry Practices
Smith, Kimberly; Mlodinow, Michael; Self, Janet S.; Haggerty, Thomas M.; Hocut, Tamara R.
- Impacts of Potential Oak Forest Change on Breeding Birds in Northwestern Arkansas
James, Douglas A.
- Oak Decline in Missouri: History Revisited
Law, Jay R.; Melick, Ross; Studyvin, Charly; Steinman, James R.
- Modeling Gypsy Moth-Related Tree Mortality Under Different Outbreak Scenarios in Interior Highlands Forests
Gottschalk, Kurt W.; Guldin, James M.; Colbert, Jimmie J.
- Fitting Fire into Oak Management
- Conversion of Successionally Stable Even-Aged Oak Stands to an Uneven-Aged Structure
Loewenstein, Edward F.; Guldin, James M.
- Regeneration Potential of Selected Forested Stands on the Cumberland Plateau of North Alabama
Schweitzer, Callie Jo; Loftis, David L.; Wang, Yong; Janzen, Greg C.
- Survival of Hardwood Seedlings and Saplings Following Overstory Thinning and Prescribed Fires in Mixed-Oak Forests of Southern Ohio
Rebbeck, Joanne; Long, Robert; Yaussy, Daniel
- Understory Response to Disturbance: An Investigation of Prescribed Burning and Understory Removal Treatments
Dolan, Benjamin J.; Parker, George R.
- The Influence of Soil Scarification on Oak Reproduction: Review and Management Considerations
Lhotka, John M.; Zaczek, James J.; Graham, Russell T.
- The Effects of Lime, Fertilizer, and Herbicide on Forest Soil Solution Chemistry and Northern Red Oak Radial Growth Following Shelterwood Harvest
Happel, Angela M; Sharpe, William E.
- Oak Bole-Wood Chemistry Response to Fertilization at Two Ozark Sites
DeWalle, David R.; Sharpe, William E.; Swistock, Bryan R.
- Spatial and Temporal Distribution of Weeviled Acorns within a Northern Red oak Seedling Orchard
Miller, D.R.; Scharbaum, S.E.
- Where Do We Go From Here?
Blaney, Martin L.; Simon, Scott; Guldin, James M.; Riley, Tom; Harris, Donny; McPeake, Rebecca
Description: Fifty-one papers address the ecology, history, current conditions, and sustainability of upland oak forests - with emphasis on the Interior Highlands. Subject categories were selected to provide focused coverage of the state-of-the-art research and understanding of upland oak ecology of the region.
View or Print this Publication (22.6 MB bytes)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication. (Please specify exactly
which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
Spetich, Martin A. 2004. Upland oak ecology symposium: history, current conditions, and sustainability. Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-73. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 311 p.
Get the latest version of the Adobe Acrobat reader or Acrobat Reader for Windows with Search and Accessibility