Title: Family Forestland Owners of the Lake States:Timber Harvest Activities and Implications for Sustainable Forest Management
Author: Leatherberry, Earl C.;
Source: In: Buse, Lisa J.; Perera, Ajith H., comps. Meeting Emerging Ecological, Economic, and Social Challenges in the Great Lakes Region: Popular Summaries. Forest Research Information Paper 155. Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada: Ontario Forest Research Institute: 53-55
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Description: There are an estimated 21.1 million hectares of forestland in Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota--the Lake States. These lands provide benefits such as timber products, wildlife habitat, recreation opportunity, and watershed protection. Land managers, particularly managers of public forestlands, often have strategies to ensure that the values provided are not diminished over time. In the Lake States, 41% of the forestland is publicly owned. The other 59% of the forestland area is privately owned and held by three broad owner groups--industrial, timber investment management organizations (TIMOs), and family forestland owners. Industrial and TIMOs own forestland primarily for timber production. Family forestland owners who control almost 90% of all privately owned timberland in the Lake States have an array of reasons for owning land. Family forestland owners are people who have a familial relationship, or who have a relationship based on common interests or goals. Family forestland owner holdings range in size from 4 to 2,025 ha (10 to 5,000 acres). Forestland holdings of less than 4 ha are generally associated with a home site and forestland holdings of more than 2,000 ha are generally corporate or industrial forests. Family forestland owners play a huge role in providing timber and other benefits from forests because they control much of the forest landbase.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
- This publication may be available in hard copy. Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat. During the capture process some typographical errors may occur. Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
XML: View XML
Leatherberry, Earl C. 2003. Family Forestland Owners of the Lake States:Timber Harvest Activities and Implications for Sustainable Forest Management. In: Buse, Lisa J.; Perera, Ajith H., comps. Meeting Emerging Ecological, Economic, and Social Challenges in the Great Lakes Region: Popular Summaries. Forest Research Information Paper 155. Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada: Ontario Forest Research Institute: 53-55
Get the latest version of the Adobe Acrobat reader or Acrobat Reader for Windows with Search and Accessibility