Title: Kinetics on cocondensation between phenol and urea through formaldehyde II.
Author: Yoshida, Yasunori; Tomita, Bunichiro; Hse, Chung-Yun;
Source: Mokuzai Gakkaiski, Vol. 41(6): 555-560
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
Description: The chemical kinetics of the concurrent reactions of 2,4,6-trimethylolphenol with urea, where o- and p-methylol groups reacted simultaneously with urea, were analyzed on four kinds of catalysts: namely, sulfuric acid, hydrochloric acid, nitric acid, and oxalic acid. The results were summarized as follows:
(1) assuming that each reaction follows the second-order reaction, the reactivity ratio (K=ko/kp) of the o- to p-methylol group could be obtained from the kinetic plots of equation  within small errors.
The reactivity ratios were determined to be 0.066 to 0.075 by the least-square method for four kinds of acid catalysts.
(3) The reactivity ratio of the pseudo-first-order rate constants obtained by competitive cocondensations under the coexistence of o- and p-methylolphenols with a sulfuric acid catalyst was found to be almost identical with that obtained by the cocncurrent cocondensation of the trimethylolphenol.
Keywords: cocondensation, urea, methylolphenol, 2, 4, 6-trimethylolphenol, kinetics, reactivity ratio, catalyst
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication. (Please specify exactly
which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
XML: View XML
Yoshida, Yasunori; Tomita, Bunichiro; Hse, Chung-Yun 1995. Kinetics on cocondensation between phenol and urea through formaldehyde II. Mokuzai Gakkaiski, Vol. 41(6): 555-560
Get the latest version of the Adobe Acrobat reader or Acrobat Reader for Windows with Search and Accessibility