You are here: Home
/ Publication Information
Title: Forest research notes, Pacific Northwest Forest Experiment Station, No. 30, June 21, 1940.
Author: Matthews, Donald N.; Morris, William G.;
Source: PNW Old Series Research Notes No. 30, p. 1-7
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
Description: (Matthews)The test was made to determine the effect of three possible variations in the indicator sticks:
1. Variations in shape. Will square, round, or flat sticks of the same cross section, length, and exposure have the same moisture content?
2. Variation in exposure. Determine the effect of exposing the sticks in the open versus exposing them under a screen.
3 . Variation in density or the effect of preparing the sticks to have the same weight or preparing them to have the same length.
(Morris)The ground surface at the fire weather stations where fuel moisture indicator sticks are used differs so greatly that it is impossible to find the same kind of surface over which to place the sticks at all stations. As a result some are placed above a leafy surface, some are above a rocky surface, others are above a base soil surface, and some are above a rocky or gravel surface. Some investigators recommend preparing an artificial ground surface or bed of forest duff several feet wide over which to place the sticks at all stations.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication. (Please specify exactly
which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
XML: View XML
Matthews, Donald N.; Morris, William G. 1940. Forest research notes, Pacific Northwest Forest Experiment Station, No. 30, June 21, 1940. PNW Old Series Research Notes No. 30, p. 1-7
Get the latest version of the Adobe Acrobat reader or Acrobat Reader for Windows with Search and Accessibility