You are here: Home
/ Publication Information
Title: Arkansas, 2011 forest inventory and analysis factsheet
Author: Rosson, James F. Jr.;
Source: e-Science Update SRS–055. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 4 p.
Publication Series: Science Update
Description: This annual factsheet is a brief look at some of the basic metrics that describe the status of and changes to forest resources in Arkansas. Estimates presented here are for the measurement year 2011 with resource changes compared against the 2010 survey year. Information for the factsheet is updated every year by means of the Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) annualized sample design. Arkansas has about 5,700 sample plots across the State, and each year 20 percent of these plots (one panel) are visited and measured by field crews, the data compiled, and new estimates produced. It is important that users keep in mind that each year of new estimates, and the subsequent resource changes, are strongly influenced by the newest 20 percent of the sample; the older data comprise the remaining 80 percent of the sample. This small sample may result in some rather sharp spikes in estimates when comparing successive survey years, but in most instances the annualized design should give a reasonable indication of directional trends in the resource (such as increasing, decreasing, or no change). After 5 years of measurements, the full sample complement (a cycle) is complete and a new survey cycle begins. Because the 20 percent panel sample size is rather small, the strongest and most reliable trend information (especially that concerning magnitude of change) comes from comparing two full cycles of data.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication. (Please specify exactly
which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
XML: View XML
Rosson, James F., Jr. 2012. Arkansas, 2011 forest inventory and analysis factsheet. e-Science Update SRS–055. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 4 p.
Get the latest version of the Adobe Acrobat reader or Acrobat Reader for Windows with Search and Accessibility