Skip to page content
USDA Forest Service
  
Treesearch

Research & Development Treesearch

 
Treesearch Home
About Treesearch
Contact Us
Research & Development
Forest Products Lab
International Institute of Tropical Forestry
Northern
Pacific Northwest
Pacific Southwest
Rocky Mountain
Southern Research Station
Help
 

Science.gov - We Participate


USA.gov  Government Made Easy


Global Forest Information Service

US Forest Service
P.O. Box 96090
Washington, D.C.
20090-6090

(202) 205-8333

You are here: Home / Search / Publication Information
Bookmark and Share

Publication Information

View PDF (588 KB)

Title: West Virginia harvest and utilization study, 2008

Author: Wiedenbeck, Jan; Grushecky, Shawn.;

Date: 2014

Source: Resour. Bull. NRS-87. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 16 p.

Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)

Description: Thirty active harvesting operations were part of a harvest and utilization study conducted in West Virginia in 2008. Data were collected on roundwood product and residue yields obtained from trees of different sizes, species, and qualities. This study was modeled after studies conducted on a regular and frequent basis by the Forest Inventory and Analysis unit in the Southern Research Station. Of the total volume harvested during this study, 88 percent was utilized and 12 percent was considered unutilized. Of the hardwood logging residue measured, 56 percent was from nongrowing-stock sections of the trees—e.g., tops, limbs, and stumps. The other 44 percent was unutilized growing-stock sections including upper stems and saw log-sized material. When the harvest utilization factors estimated in this study are applied to Forest Inventory and Analysis estimates of total harvest volume for West Virginia in 2008, a statewide hardwood logging residue estimate of 35.5 million cubic feet is obtained.

Keywords: residue, logging, removal factors, overutilization, underutilization

Publication Notes:

  • We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
  • This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
  • This publication may be available in hard copy. Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
  • Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat. During the capture process some typographical errors may occur. Please contact Sharon Hobrla, shobrla@fs.fed.us if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.

XML: View XML

Citation:


Wiedenbeck, Jan; Grushecky, Shawn. 2014. West Virginia harvest and utilization study, 2008. Resour. Bull. NRS-87. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 16 p.

 


 [ Get Acrobat ]  Get the latest version of the Adobe Acrobat reader or Acrobat Reader for Windows with Search and Accessibility

USDA logo which links to the department's national site. Forest Service logo which links to the agency's national site.