Skip to page content
USDA Forest Service

Research & Development Treesearch

Treesearch Home
About Treesearch
Contact Us
Research & Development
Forest Products Lab
International Institute of Tropical Forestry
Pacific Northwest
Pacific Southwest
Rocky Mountain
Southern Research Station
Help - We Participate  Government Made Easy

Global Forest Information Service

US Forest Service
P.O. Box 96090
Washington, D.C.

(202) 205-8333

You are here: Home / Search / Publication Information
Bookmark and Share

Publication Information

View PDF (743 KB)

Title: Forests of North Carolina, 2012

Author: Brown, M.J.; Vogt, J.T.; New, B.D.;

Date: 2014

Source: Resource Update SRS-RU-13. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 4 p.

Publication Series: Resource Update (RU)

Description: This periodic resource update provides an overview of forest resources in North Carolina based on an inventory conducted by the U.S. Forest Service, Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) program at the Southern Research Station in cooperation with the North Carolina Forest Service. Data estimates are based on field data collected using the FIA annualized sample design and are updated yearly. The estimates presented in this update are for the measurement year 2012 with comparisons made to data reported in 2007. The sample plot population in North Carolina consists of 5,800 plots distributed across the State, of which about 15 percent are collected annually. The 2012 estimates included 4 years of data collection that measured 3,376 plots, resulting in about 58 percent new data merged with the remaining 42 percent from 2007 to produce the updated estimates. Growth, removals, and mortality (GRM) estimates were derived from remeasurement data on 3,282 of the plots. The slightly smaller sample used for GRM estimates is due to a combination of new and/or lost plots. The data used in this publication were accessed from the FIA database on March 20, 2014.

Publication Notes:

  • We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
  • This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
  • You may send email to to request a hard copy of this publication. (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)



Brown, M.J.; Vogt, J.T.; New, B.D. 2014. Forests of North Carolina, 2012. Resource Update SRS-RU-13. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 4 p.


 [ Get Acrobat ]  Get the latest version of the Adobe Acrobat reader or Acrobat Reader for Windows with Search and Accessibility

USDA logo which links to the department's national site. Forest Service logo which links to the agency's national site.