You are here: Home
/ Publication Information
Title: Linking nonstructural carbohydrate dynamics to gas exchange and leaf hydraulic behavior in Pinus edulis and Juniperus monosperma
Author: Woodruff, David R.; Meinzer, Frederick C.; Marias, Danielle E.; Sevanto, Sanna; Jenkins, Michael W.; McDowell, Nate G.;
Source: New Phytologist
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
- Leaf hydraulics, gas exchange and carbon storage in Pinus edulis and Juniperus monosperma, two tree species on opposite ends of the isohydry–anisohydry spectrum, were analyzed to examine relationships between hydraulic function and carbohydrate dynamics.
- Leaf hydraulic vulnerability, leaf water potential (Ψl), leaf hydraulic conductance (Kleaf), photosynthesis (A), stomatal conductance (gs) and nonstructural carbohydrate (NSC) content were analyzed throughout the growing season.
- Leaf hydraulic vulnerability was significantly lower in the relatively anisohydric J. monosperma than in the more isohydric P. edulis. In P. edulis, Ψl dropped and stayed below 50% loss of leaf hydraulic conductance (P50) early in the day during May, August and around midday in September, leading to sustained reductions in Kleaf. In J. monosperma, Ψl dropped below P50 only during August, resulting in the maintenance of Kleaf during much of the growing season. Mean A and gs during September were significantly lower in P. edulis than in J. monosperma. Foliar total NSC was two to three times greater in J. monosperma than in P. edulis in June, August and September.
- Consistently lower levels of total NSC in P. edulis suggest that its isohydric strategy pushes it towards the exhaustion of carbon reserves during much of the growing season.
Keywords: carbon starvation, carbon storage, drought, growth limitation, Juniperus monosperma, leaf hydraulics, nonstructural carbohydrate (NSC), Pinus edulis.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
XML: View XML
Woodruff, David R.; Meinzer, Frederick C.; Marias, Danielle E.; Sevanto, Sanna; Jenkins, Michael W.; McDowell, Nate G. 2014. Linking nonstructural carbohydrate dynamics to gas exchange and leaf hydraulic behavior in Pinus edulis and Juniperus monosperma . New Phytologist. 206(1): 411-421.
Get the latest version of the Adobe Acrobat reader or Acrobat Reader for Windows with Search and Accessibility