You are here: Home
/ Publication Information
Title: Reproduction cutting methods for naturally regenerated pine stands in the south
Author: Guldin, James M.;
Source: In: Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS–75. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. Chapter 9. p. 83-95.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
Description: It is projected that plantations will make up 25 percent of the South's forest land area by the year 2040. Thus the remaining 75 percent of that area will consist of naturally regenerated pine, pine-hardwood, and hardwood stands. Naturally regenerated pines can be managed successfully by even-aged and unevenaged silvicultural systems when the reproduction cutting method is properly planned and executed, and when there is timely application of site preparation, release, and intermediate treatments to ensure seedling establishment and development. Attention to residual basal area, seed production, preparation of suitable seedbeds, control of competing vegetation, and timely density control are important to the successful management of naturally regenerated stands.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication. (Please specify exactly
which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
XML: View XML
Guldin, James M. 2004. Reproduction cutting methods for naturally regenerated pine stands in the south. In: Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS–75. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. Chapter 9. p. 83-95.
Get the latest version of the Adobe Acrobat reader or Acrobat Reader for Windows with Search and Accessibility